The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 24, 2000, 04:11 PM   #1
PKAY

Do any of you good folks know if the Model 70 Super Grade was made in 7 mm Remington Mag prior to 1964? Fjestad's Blue Book is not definitive on this. After '64 there came the use of the prefix appellation "Custom" in front of "Super Grade," but I'm not sure when exactly that occurred. My friend has one and he's trying to figure out if it's pre '64 or not (there is a significant difference in value). His serial number is G196XX. Also, the barrel engraved designation, "Super Grade," does not have the word,"Custom," before it.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY
Old August 24, 2000, 05:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Easy way. Post 64 started at serial number 700000 and has the extractor in the bolt head. Anything under that is pre-64 and has Mauser type extractor. The prefix "G" was not used until 1968. Are you sure that serial number is only 5 digits?

Jim
Old August 24, 2000, 06:09 PM   #3
PKAY

Jim, thanks for the response. Yes, the serial number only has five (5) digits after the "G." The bolt is jeweled as is the magazine follower if that helps.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY
Old August 25, 2000, 02:24 PM   #4
Paul B.

Pkay. Does the rifle have a claw extractor like on a Mauser?
If not, it's a post 64. The 5 digit serial # throws me though.
Paul B.
Old August 25, 2000, 03:08 PM   #5
PKAY

Paul - I'll have to check on the extractor. It does have a Mauser-like safety behind the bolt. There is an engraved "Fire" position as well. The 5 digit serial number following the "G" (no space between the "G" and the numerics) is located on the left side of the receiver just above where it meets the stock.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY