The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 2, 2000, 01:31 AM   #1
Humblge

I found out this rifle: http://www.elliscomp.com/enfield/index.html
is a No 4 MK1
If any of the marks on it mean anything at all to anyone please let me know. Some history would be nice too.

Thanks to all!!!
Old June 2, 2000, 06:15 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Humblge:
Lee Enfield, Lee-Metford, Remington Lee

AUSTRALIA:

Rifle #1 Sniper Rifle Mk3 Ht
Manufacture: Royal Austrian, Lithgow,
New South Wales
Year of Manufacture 1944-46
Quantity:
Action: #1 Mk3
Caliber: .303 Rimmed
Length: 44.56"
Weight: 10.30lb
Barrel Length: 25.19"
Grooves: 5 LH concentric
Magazine: 10 Box (detach)
M-Velocity: 2,440fps W/Mk-VII ball

TURN-BOLT PATTERNS:

Lee Burtons:

Developed in the USA, then perfected in the USA and Britain. These guns were service issue in Britain and the British Empire. They were also issued in many former colonies after independence had bee gained, India & Pakistan. Lee Enfields were also used in Irag and the Irish Free State, Eire, prior to 1939. Others were sold to Belgium, Denmark, Egypt, Greece, the Netherlands, Norway, Thailand, and turkey in the post 1945 era.

The first turn bolt designs, with a single locking lug, sold in small numbers to factions in South and Central America. An improved two lug mechanism was then perfected in Britain, where the .303 Magazine Rifle MkI )Lee-Metford), was adopted for military service in 1888

Prior to 1939 the Australian forces were armed with standard SMLE Mks III and III* (No 1) MkIII and No 1 MkIII*) Rifles made in a government factory that had been established in Lithrow, New South Wales, 1n 1912. These guns were dated from 1913-1929, 1938-1945, and 1953-1956.

BRITAIN

Indicators for year of manufacture:

V.R. (Victoria Regina) 1888-1901
E.R. (Edwardius Rex) 1901-1910
G.R. (Georgius Rex) 1910-1936
1936-1952
E.R. (Elizabeth Regina) 1952 to Date

Manufacturer Marks:

Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield (EFD)
Birmingham Small Arms B.S.A. & AM Co
London Small Arms L.S.A or L.S.A. Ltd
Vickers V.S.M.
Standard Small Arms S.S.A.
National Rifle Factory N.R.F.

S.M.L.E BRITISH
NO.1 Mark III Short Lee Enfield.
Adopted: 1907
Cal: .303
Length: 44.5"
Wt: 8.6lb
Action: Turnbolt
Bolt: 2 Piece non rotating head
Mag: Detach Bx. Stagg. Column
Capacity: 10 rnds
Bbl length: 25.2"
Bore Dia: .303"
Twist: Left
Rate: 10"

Basic British rifle of WWI and used to some extent in WWII. Over 2,000,000 made by Enfield. B.S.A. made over one million during the same period.

Note: Savage also made a rifle for the .303 British cartridge however, the Brits called it the .301 Savage to distinguish it between the .303 British round.

Hope this will help you in your quest.

HJN
Old June 3, 2000, 07:25 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Humblidge - Without wanting to impinge on the Master's territory - it looks like an early type British #4MK1 to me and the wood is really excellent, but it has probably been around the world a bit and perhaps has had some parts altered/upgraded ?

As the subject is exaustive(-ING?)I suggest the quality Skennerton Book on the 'SMLE Rifle' would make excellent reading, if you can get a copy in USA.

It is probably NOT a Lithgow(NSW) based rifle(Aussie) as they only ever made #1MK3s and they thought they were a superior rifle in accuracy and sight picture to the #4( I disagree, surely I feel in 1942 it was "needs-must") though a very (experimental) few aussie #5s ("Jungle Carbines") were made in 1945 (I am told), but they are now worth a lot of money, as are the mostly British-made sniper HTs + kits, to a smaller extent.

Mr H ...this rifle could be the start of a life-time hobby....best of luck.

------------------
***Big Bunny***