The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 4, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
ben_419

my savage 110 what you think? (pics)

well got this at the local pawn for $300. Its a 3006. It is a pre accutrigger. I shot it at the range the other day. Shoots nice and accurate.
What you think are they good rifles? how much are these brand new and do they even make this model anymore? thanks

with the family
Old July 4, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
TRguy

They have made that action continuously since the 50s. That trigger isn't available unless you buy their Steven's line.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

The Stevens only comes with a synthetic stock now days.

The older Savages I have owned had hard gritty triggers.

If your trigger hasn't been worked on you might want to consider adding Basix Trigger (Your gun must be made after 1966) From looking at the bolt I am quite certain it is newer than 1966.

Basix Trigger Link

Just another note, your rings seem high. See how high the bell of the scope sits above the barrel. I would replace those with proper height rings, Med height for a 44mm bell.

I do love my Savages.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
PawPaw

I've got several of those and you can buy one new today. MSRP for the wood stock is about $700.00, but the street price is considerably less expensive. It's a fine rifle in a great caliber and aftermarket support is very easy to find.

No, they don't make that particular model anymore, because Savage went to the Accutrigger in ..2003? Several years ago. The newer Savages have a round rear bridge, some differing cosmetics and the new trigger. But, basically it's the same rifle. If you have questions about your specific rifle you can call Savage Customer Service with your serial number and they can tell you all about your rifle.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 4, 2011, 07:40 PM   #4
olddav

I had to go check the safe, I thought someone stole mine. As "TRguy" said install a Rifle Basix trigger (SAV-2), at least thats the one I have on my Savage 110 in 30.06. I'm guessing that your scope is a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:14 PM   #5
brian923

I aquiered almost the exact same rifle as you in 30_06 as well, a couple years ago. Now, it sports a 24" savage 308 barrel and the rifle shoots better then me it shod do you very good as a solid shooter. Good shootin, Brian.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #6
TX Hunter

I Hunted for years with an old Savage 110 much older than yours. It was a superb Deer Rifle. Mine was 30 06 also. My oldest Son ownes it now. You will enjoy that Rifle.
Old July 4, 2011, 09:45 PM   #7
jimbob86

The best rifle is the one you have!

I am sure it is a fine rifle. Now your task is to learn to shoot up to it's capabilities, from field positions, under time pressure. Try these:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/courses.htm#Rifle

.... and I concur with the guys that think your rings are too high .... seems like a good "stock weld" would be an issue.....
Old July 5, 2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Yes, they still make them although I'm not sure what they are going for these days. I own a 110 left handed 7mm Rem Mag I bought about 5 years ago. Great gun, smooth trigger and very accurate. You'll really enjoy this gun. Congrats.
Old July 5, 2011, 06:43 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

they shoot very well... I have four of em in various calibers..

7mm, .270, 22-250, 30-06
Old July 5, 2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Fusion

Great rifles that are extremely accurate and extremely reliable, but I feel that was a little on the expensive side. There is one on a local site for sale that's the newer model with the accu trigger, and has a Simmons scope on it for $300 with wood that looks just like that. It's been on there a couple of days now without selling. His is in .270. I'm not 100% sure what the wood stocked models go for brand new, but I know the synthetic stock models with the accu trigger and a Simmons scope go for $387 at the local Walmart or $397 at the Walmart up the road. IMO the accu trigger is definately worth the extra. IMO I'd pay about $200 for one without an accu trigger as they are often listen for $250 around here and don't sell. I'd pay $250-300 for a used accu trigger model.
Old July 5, 2011, 09:04 PM   #11
BUFF

Back in '99 i bought a Savage 110 in .270 with a 3x9 Siimmons for $350 ( i think) from the local Wally World. I wish i would have bought 2. That is one of the sweetest shooting guns i shot in a while. She's killed a truckload of deer with it. Since then I've accumalated a few more rifles, but still sneek off with it from time to time. Well worth the money. I would have thought the prices would have gone up since '99. Seems Savage has been through a resurgance in the last few years. I'm certainly impresseed with their quality.
Old July 5, 2011, 10:21 PM   #12
ben_419

awsome thanks for the replies! Good to hear that its a good rifle. Also Thanks for the extra info looking that stuff up right now!!!
Old July 6, 2011, 08:18 AM   #13
TRguy

Quote:
Fusion said:... IMO I'd pay about $200 for one without an accu trigger as they are often listen for $250 around here and don't sell. I'd pay $250-300 for a used accu trigger model.
You will never buy one in the OP's condition pictured above for $200. If you do, send me pics and a bill of sale, I will wager it if you care too?
Old July 6, 2011, 09:29 AM   #14
bailey bud

$300 must be about market value ----

my local pawn shot has a 110 in 7mm Rem for $300 (with rings, but no scope)

The shop owner says that Savage delivers the biggest bang for the buck.
Old July 6, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Fusion

Quote:
You will never buy one in the OP's condition pictured above for $200. If you do, send me pics and a bill of sale, I will wager it if you care too?
I disagree. I've not bought one because I don't want one of the ones without an accu trigger, even though they still are great guns, but you can get them for $200 if you look. Like I said, I see them in great shape all the time for $250 and they take forever to sell.

A guy on a local site has one that looks like it just came out of the box with the wood stock and the accu trigger for $300 and he hasn't sold it yet. I'm very tempted to pick it up, but I just don't need it. $250-300 seems to be the average price for the used Accu Trigger Models around here. I see them quite often for $300 and I see them occasionally for $250, but they go really fast at that price.

The model without the accu trigger doesn't sell for anywhere near what the one with the accu trigger does.
Old July 6, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
TRguy

Quote:
I disagree. I've not bought one because I don't want one of the ones without an accu trigger, even though they still are great guns, but you can get them for $200 if you look. Like I said, I see them in great shape all the time for $250 and they take forever to sell.

A guy on a local site has one that looks like it just came out of the box with the wood stock and the accu trigger for $300 and he hasn't sold it yet. I'm very tempted to pick it up, but I just don't need it. $250-300 seems to be the average price for the used Accu Trigger Models around here. I see them quite often for $300 and I see them occasionally for $250, but they go really fast at that price.

The model without the accu trigger doesn't sell for anywhere near what the one with the accu trigger does.
Just saying, seeing is still believing.