The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Topload

New holster break-in??

Howdy,

The new UBG Canute holster has arrived and I was immediately impressed with the quality of their workmanship. Good looking piced of leathercraft - great finish - really tight fit for my pistol. Here's where I need some advice - how do I go about getting the gun to release from the grip of the holster? I've had to use some force to get it in place and it almost refuses to be drawn from the holster.

I'm going to try wrapping the gun in plastic wrap and letting it sit in the holster for a while but I'm concerned about how tightly it holds the pistol. Any tricks that I need to know about??

TIA
Old June 30, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
engineermike

you can either or both, get some Galco draw-ez or just keep working the pistol in and out of the holster a few times a day. After working the pistol in and out of the holster just leave it in the holster for a few days and see if the holster won't relax enough to let you draw the pistol. "I don't think my typing makes any sense but you know what I mean". And of course the holster is the right one for your pistol...
Old June 30, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
BarryLee

Most holsters will loosen up with use, so give it a little time and avoid applying any type of product. I have used the plastic bag trick with success, so again give that a few days. If it is still tight contact the manufacturer since they all generally have advice for their specific holsters.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 30, 2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Topload

Thanks Gents - I'll just stay with leaving the gun in the holster for a while and see if the "newness" relaxes a bit. There's no way I could put it into service with the fit like it is.....could be more of a liability than an asset at this point.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Thanks Gents - I'll just stay with leaving the gun in the holster for a while and see if the "newness" relaxes a bit. There's no way I could put it into service with the fit like it is.....could be more of a liability than an asset at this point.
It will loosen up just leaving the gun in there for 24 or 48 hours. No worries just yet.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:47 PM   #6
engineermike

My galco Miami Classic fit really tight and it took a few days of using my fingers to stretch the leather and leaving the pistol in the holster before it started to slip into the holster properly. I still am putting the gun in and out a few times a week but it is getting better. Just keep at it and it will probably start fitting before long.
Old June 30, 2011, 07:29 PM   #7
JerryM

Some of my holsters did not loosen up enough for a smooth draw using the plastic bag method. I want to use them and not leave them in the safe and in a bag for days. Accordingly, I use KG9.
http://www.kgcoatings.com/lubricants...-leather-kote/

I think it is about like Leather Lightning by Rosen, but a lot less expensive. Works well with tight mag holders as well.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 1, 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Topload

Thanks Jerry - I'll look into the product. I was thinking that maybe a little mink oil might help but I'm a bit concerned about it loosening up to much.....guess I'll give it a couple days of the plastic bag treatment before I go any further.

Appreciate your info.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
engineermike

I would not use mink oil as it will make the holster leather too soft and lose its shape.
Old July 1, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
JerryM

No, don't consider the mink oil as it will soften the leather. Try the plastic bag for a day or three, and it might do the trick for you. But don't use any oil on your holster.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 1, 2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Topload

Got it - thanks - no oil!! It presently has a plastic bagged pistol, tightly installed and it is resting in the safe. I'll give it a day and check it after proper "aging".
Old July 6, 2011, 04:54 PM   #12
FLYMRY

A question to build on this subject...

I just got my new holster for my Beretta 92FS from Beretta's online store. It is excellent quality, but the thumb break is VERY difficult to secure.

Should I also just leave the gun in the holster for a day or so with the thumb break secured to get it "trained"? Longer?

Anyone else have any Beretta brand holsters that would care to share their experiences with and thoughts about them?

FYI, Beretta makes (or at least markets) a nice holster.

Thanks!
Beretta 92FS (Italy) | Beretta 84FS (Italy)
Old July 6, 2011, 05:17 PM   #13
engineermike

on my galco it said to take the thumb break strap and pull and twist at the same time. This seems to loosen and stretch the leather, that is if the gun is as far into the holster as you would like. It worked on my galco miami classic and only took a few sessions
Old July 15, 2011, 01:00 PM   #14
langloisandy

Go easy on products....

All,

I make holsters, piles of them....(and fix many of them for folks that have messed them up with oils/waxes/secret potions).

Try wearing the holster/gun for a while to break it in naturally as opposed to trying to hasten the process (and thus hastening the eventual break down of the leather!).

Be very very very cautious of oils, they can turn the leather spongey soft with VERY little amounts.

Your holstermaker probably can advise you of what products to use/not use. (I only recommend neutral show polish on many of my holsters).

Andy
Old July 19, 2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Topload

Thanks Andy - its taken a couple of days but the best advice is...patience. I started wearing the holster / pistol and after some time it started to loosen up and now it seems to be a perfect fit to the gun. I guess I was in a bit of a hurry to have it fit right and was looking for the "quick fix". Of course the right approach is as you stated "break it in naturally". Luckily I steered clear of the oils and I'm very pleased with the fit / finish of this holster. (Decided to order a second one for my "other" gun.)
Old July 19, 2011, 02:44 PM   #16
JerryM

I have had more trouble with mag pouches. The ones I have came very tight, about like a gun holster. This week-end I carried a compact 1911 and the mag did not have a pad on the base. I had a terrible time getting it out so I carried one that had a pad on it.
Even with the pad removing the mag was difficult so I used the plastic bag treatment. I also noted that my blue mags were much more difficult to remove than my stainless mags.

I am still working with that mag pouch, but recommend you check the mag pouches before you have to reload in a fight. Glad I never faced that.

Regards,
Jerry