The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1
denster

Anyone played with slugs in SXS

Wondering if anyone else had played around with shooting slugs in a side by side and what your results were in finding or making loads that shot both barrels to the same point of aim.
I've had excellent luck with 20Ga coach guns. Not so much with 12Ga although I'm still working at it.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Tried slugs in four or five doubles, nothing shot both barrels to the same point of aim, a couple guns were closer than others.
They're generally not regulated well enough past 15 yards or so to make slugs very viable farther out.
No point in bothering with homegrown slug loads for that type of use, for me.
Denis
Old May 3, 2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A friend and I tried it in his SKB with very poor results.
But it gave him the double gun fever and he bought a .450 BPE.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I tried slugs in my uncles 20ga SxS to see if it was functional for a short term deer gun.

The first shot was within a couple inches at 30 yards. The second was like a foot off, I can't remember left or right.

The first shot was easily workable at typical ranges in our hunting scenarios. The second one, not so much.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
denster

As I stated I've had good luck finding slug loads that were viable in the two 20Ga Baikal coach guns I have. By viable I mean R&L groups into 4" at fifty yards.
One thing I have noticed with sxs doubles (rifle or shotgun)is that it is very important how you shoulder the gun. For example standing quartering to the target with the 12Ga double I'm working with. The left barrel shoots 3" left and the right barrel shoots 6" right at 15yds. Standing square on with the target the left barrel shoots 1"left and the right barrel shoots 3" right at the same 15yds. The quartering stance also lends to canting the gun causing an elevation dispersion.
With the 12Ga you don't have quite the variety of slug weight and velocity that you have with the 20. At least not in commercial loadings. Obviously with the results I'm getting I either need higher velocity or reduced slug weight or both. I just ordered some Remington sluggers high velocity that is a 7/8Oz slug at 1800fps which should bring things closer together.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My brother has a nice looking little Amadeo Rossi SA,Overland 12 gauge. His right barrel shoots dead on at 25 yards, the left barrel just a couple inches up and right of the first shot. Close enough for government work. With birdshot I can't tell the difference and was confident enough in it I took it turkey hunting once. No birds seen but I was ready. He used it for deer hunting in South Carolina at his gun club where it was shotgun only. 2 shots 2 deer never needed the second barrel. Good thing because at 40 yards heaven knows where that left barrel would have shot to.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 3, 2011, 03:24 PM   #7
denster

Grump

Sounds like he has a winner. If the left barrel was just shooting right a couple of inches and not high I'd say it was crossing . Solution would be a heavier slug or lower velocity or both. Since it is high and right I'm guessing it is slight barrel canting. What slug is he using?
Old May 3, 2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Fioochi 2 3/4" 1 oz slugs. Same as I use in my guns for deer hunting except I don't have any double barreled guns. Never took a shell apart but I think they are Brenneke slugs because I get consistent 4" 100 yard groups out of my scoped gun. They are a tad bit more accurate than my shells with the Foster slugs. They vary a little more from 4" - 6"

I never shot his gun that far and most likely never will, I know he won't. he looks crosseyed at me when I try and get him to shoot 50 yards.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 5, 2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Creek Henry

I got a laser sight and checked all of my shotguns' POA. My SxS is the best of them. My Ruger O/U is the worst!