The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1
spleify

Ruger M77 scope ring mounting options

I have an older(1970's) M77 and just got a new scope that I want to mount up. The Ruger mount rail is pretty small and looks like the ring mounts are pretty specific. The new scope is a 30mm tube and the rail attachment is the size for a picatinny rail.

Any help or suggestions on how I can get this scope mounted on this rifle?

Thanks
Like us on Facebook
Old April 29, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
603Country

I have a mid-70's Ruger 77 and I put a 6.5X20X50 Leupold on it and had to use the tall rings, and had to get the Ruger rings. Lucky for me, a local gun dealer had the rings in stock. It's a very solid mounting system.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:40 PM   #3
spleify

603country, do you have pics and a link to what you used for this. I was so excited to get the new scope mounted up, then I run into this.

Thanks
Like us on Facebook
Old April 29, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4
big al hunter

Ruger rifles have a proprietary mounting system that requires using there ring mounts. It almost makes the scope an intregal part of the firearm. Does the top of your reciever have notches machined into the top that look like you could fit a coin into one and a half circle on either side of it. I just ordered new 30mm rings for my ruger m77 and they are $75. But worth it to me. You can also find an adapter that locks into the ruger system and allows weaver or picitinny rail style rings. I don't remember the manufacturer, but my dad had one on his SRH, so I know they exist.
Old April 29, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
warbirdlover

I've just went through a little "learning curve" on rings for my Mk II all-weather. It came with the ss mid-height rings and I used them for 15 years. Then I got a scope with a 50mm bell and had to get high rings.

I was going to save a buck so got Millett rings. Seemed to be okay but were very hard to get centered (clamping screws on "both" sides of the ring) and I had to buy the 1" pointed alignment thingy's and play around. What I didn't notice is when I tightened them to the receiver the front one tilted forward some because the "slot" (notches) was not quit centered. When I took the scope off it had a ding in it from the tilted ring. Made me very angry but that's what I get for trying to save a buck.

Bottom line. Get Ruger rings or Leupold rings for it. They both only have the clamping screw on the one side and will not tilt.
Old April 30, 2011, 01:18 AM   #6
spleify

big al hunter, yes I have the mounts like you described. I did find the weaver adapter that you are talking about and I think I might go that route.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Like us on Facebook
Old April 30, 2011, 11:58 AM   #7
TX Hunter

On my Ruger I used factory Rings but had to usa a tall up front and an extra tall in the back, two ring heights to level the scope.
Old May 1, 2011, 01:15 PM   #8
PetahW

Ruger's Parts Dept sells (online) many different scope rings, of different materials (blued or stainless), heights (low/med/high) for your scope's obj lens, and in both 1" & 30mm ring/scope tube diameters.

ALL of them are made to attach to the dovetails built integral with Ruger receivers & barrel ribs.

Old May 1, 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
603Country

Spleify,

As I mentioned earlier, I have the old version Ruger (mid-70's) and the 6.5X20X50 scope with the 30mm tube (and I love the scope and the rifle). I just measured the mounts, just in case you want or need some info a bit more specific than "medium", "high", or "super high". The front mount, measured from the highest point of the action to the bottom of the scope tube, is 5/8 inch. The rear mount, measured the same way, is 3/4 inch. With the scope set for the eye relief I like, there is a gap between the objective bell and the barrel of approximately 1/4 inch. That can vary as you move the scope forward or backward in the rings. I have a sporter weight barrel. I think, though I'm not absolutely positive, that there'd still be a gap between scope bell and a bull barrel. I hope that helps. The only potential problem with the info I've provided is that a seller of the mounts, holding them loose in his hand, as opposed to having them on a rifle, might not measure them the same way I did.