The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 29, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1
gregabbott965

Ar-15 suggestions

I am currently looking to pick up an ar. I have an mp15 sport now and just found that the slide fire stock won't work with mine b/c of the way the trigger guard is. What better reason to purchase another ar... Anyways just wanted to hear some opinions/reviews, experiences in deciding which way to go. I was wondering about dpms,bushmaster,or another mp model with a trigger guard the slidefire stock will work with.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:59 PM   #2
DnPRK

Build it yourself. It isn't rocket science. You can build it with the features you want. Google "How to build an AR-15". There are several youtube videos that explain how to build too.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Technosavant

If your main reason for buying is to use that slide fire stock, just change out the trigger guard. It's a piece of cake- just depress the plunger to free up one side, then hammer out the roll pin (support those ears or you'll break them off) on the other. Replace it with the trigger guard of your choice.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
gregabbott965

unfortunately, the trigger guard on the mp15 sport is molded to the lower, so I can't just switch out the trigger guard.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:20 PM   #5
gregabbott965

DnPRK, this may be a stupid question but does it end up being less expensive to just build one?
Old April 29, 2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Technosavant

For building, it depends on what you end up doing. It's probably cheaper if you find a decent deal on a middling to halfway decent rifle to buy a complete rifle. It really only ends up being worthwhile if you either want to learn how it all goes together or you want to build up something of really high quality.

One other option is to just get a stripped lower and lower parts kit. For about $200 plus that funky stock you'll be ready to go- swap over your existing upper for when you want to blow through your ammo and just put the upper back on the other lower for more "serious" purposes. You also don't end up dedicating an upper to that slide fire stock; most of the cost of an AR is in the upper. Stripped lowers can be had for less than $100 (if you can't find one for that, you aren't really trying) but can cost $150 or so locally, and LPKs of any decent quality seem to be in the $80 range (I'd not recommend the Daniel Defense one- it comes with a Magpul MOE trigger guard... you want something more conventional).
Old April 29, 2011, 09:40 PM   #7
gregabbott965

That's a great idea. I didn't even think about that. I would certainly prefer to not have to dedicate my upper to the slide fire stock, which won't be used as much as my regular stock. they are a lot of fun to shoot though. Is there anywhere online that you recommend to look. I have no idea where to start looking.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
gregabbott965

Or anywhere in the st. louis area? I actually live in ballwin. Any shops you'd recommend? or should I go online?
Old April 29, 2011, 10:35 PM   #9
jackblack73

My understanding is that a complete rifle will cost more because an excise tax is imposed. So whether you build a lower yourself or buy a complete lower, it makes sense to buy the lower and upper separately.
Old April 29, 2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Quentin2

I'd rethink buying a ridiculous $350 bump fire stock. Why not just use the rubberband or shoestring tricks to get this foolishness out of your system.

Now building another AR, that's always a good idea!
Old April 30, 2011, 12:26 AM   #11
gregabbott965

Well that doesn't help. But thanks for your opinion.
Old April 30, 2011, 01:38 AM   #12
NWdude83

Build it. You can even buy a complete upper and a complete lower if you are lazy, and you will still save a little $. Here are just a couple links. You can also check out manufactures websites, Bravo Company, Midway USA, Brownells, your local gun store, gunbroker, etc.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...ppers-complete

http://www.dsarms.com/Lowers%20&%20Uppers/products/59/
Old April 30, 2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Quentin2

Sorry, it was meant to help and save you money. Down the road when the novelty has worn off you'll probably say to yourself why did I waste all that money on this ****. (Not the ARs but the 'ain't gonna bump no more' thing...)

I just couldn't let it go without saying this is a bad plan. With that money you could be on the way to an Aimpoint or Eotech instead or many other useful upgrades to your S&W. If you've already bought it - good luck though and hope it works out.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Technosavant

Greg,

I don't know of too many places in the area that regularly carry lower and parts kits; On Target in Valley Park has sometimes had them, but they may not have any right now. C&W Metal-Werkes in St. Charles also has been known to have them, but they're only open Fri and Sat. Gun shows often have them, but it may be a while until there's another decent sized one here.

One place that does have lowers and parts kits (even complete lowers, if you don't want to fiddle with building one yourself) in stock is PK Firearms; I've bought from them before, and if it shows on their site, it's in stock. It looks like complete lowers can be had for right at $300ish, and you can have one shipped to a gun shop convenient to you. Pull the pistol grip off the lower (do be careful to not lose the spring and safety detent when you do this) and the stock off the tube, and you're ready to install your slide-fire.