The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 9, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
steve1147

Rock River AR-15 Test Fired at Factory?

Just bought a 'new' Rock River AR-15 in .223 Remington from a local dealer who claims to have a factory certified guy (armorer?) build them on-site.
I was in-store to order my rifle, waited, and it was ready an hour later. I know they couldn't have 'test-fired' it there 'cause the business is in town. Still, when I got it home and tore it down, it was dirty inside, powder residue, etc. It also came with an obviously used old metal military 30 round clip.
Base price was $700, plus my options I had added which totalled almost $1,000 with 200 rounds of ammo. No manual, No paperwork other than a receipt for all the "parts" to make the rifle.
Am I crazy, or is this normal?
Thanks, Steve W.

PS: Did I menetion the 'dust door' latch that covers the bolt was very well worn from slamming open numerous times?

Last edited by steve1147; April 10, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old April 9, 2011, 03:47 PM   #2
5RWill

No paperwork i agree that sounds fishy. I've bought 3 firearm related items that had to go through a FFL and all required paperwork.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:01 PM   #3
steve1147

Oh, I had to do the regular paperwork, you know, all lines except #23 are NO, etc. No idea if it was actually 'turned-in' or checked. Just no manual, instuctions, etc. for the rifle, which I thought odd, I've always gotten boxes, fired casings, manuals, etc. with other weapons.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Txhillbilly

It sounds like your guy is just assembling guns at his shop out of parts.If you would have bought a NEW RRA rifle,it would have come in a RRA Hardcase with all the factory paperwork.
Who knows what type of gun you really have,I'd say it probably isn't a Rock River.Just a Rock River lower that they assembled,and topped it off with whatever type/brands of upper they had around or assembled.

I hope you don't have any trouble with it,I'd bet that it isn't a true RRA gun,and you won't have any type of factory warranty if something goes wrong.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:21 PM   #5
ndking1126

I'm sure RRA would love to know of this "satelite office" kind enough to be buliding rifles for them!!

Never bought a new gun that didn't have box, papers, etc.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:43 PM   #6
KChen986

FWIW, my RRA LAR8 came 'new' test-fired from the factory. Brass markings on the bolt face and very light residue.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:45 PM   #7
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
from a local dealer
Who is the local dealer?

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old April 9, 2011, 05:55 PM   #8
mc223

Sounds like they got ya. I bet somebody got a new Rock River, just wasn't you.

0° 5150
Old April 9, 2011, 07:10 PM   #9
steve1147

And I already sent an email to RRA explaining what transpired, just to get their take on it.

Last edited by steve1147; April 10, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Quentin2

Yeah, this is just a "custom build" using a RRA lower, the rest could be anything. I'd go back and try to get the rest of the story. Definitely ask if there's a warranty and who stands behind it.

As far as a manual, you can download a PDF from almost any reputable AR website and maybe even get a printed one sent from RRA.

The next step is figure out what your options ended up costing. $700 normally buys a very basic AR unless you hit a great sale. Then figure what the ammo would cost and tax. After subtracting that all out you'll know what the upgrades cost and whether you got reamed. Unfortunately it's not looking real good right now.

You could give more of the specs here and maybe get an idea what the rifle's really worth.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:43 AM   #11
jackblack73

So is it not even in 5.56?
Old April 10, 2011, 08:52 AM   #12
steve1147

Lower is RRA LAR-15, 5.56, barrell is stamped BRO 5.56 1x8 SS Poly 5. Trigger movement really sucks though, no slow steady sqeeze possible, it's very jerky. I'll re-clean and oil it to see if that helps.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:32 PM   #13
jackblack73

Oh ok. I was wondering since you said it was in .223 Remington in your first post.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Nitesites

A brand new rifle assembled at a LGS? Huh? Sounds to me like your "new" rifle is more like a "new to you" firearm. BUT, get the facts first from the horse's mouth rather than our opinion. Ask the dealer in plain English. Also, asking RRA was a step in the right direction. What about your reciept?
Old April 10, 2011, 09:32 PM   #15
carprivershooter

Rock river

I picked up a Rock River Arm 223/5.53 today. It came with a hard case, a thirty round mag, and the Army, Air Force, Marine Corp Manual. Showed signs of a being test fired. My lgs said he would build one for me using RRA parts. He sells several brands of ARs, RRA is just one brand
Old April 10, 2011, 10:08 PM   #16
the rifleer

Im interested in hearing what the reply from RRA is.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:22 AM   #17
johnbt

"barrell is stamped BRO 5.56 1x8 SS Poly 5"

Black Rain Ordnance?

http://blackrainordnance.com/BRO/Barrels
Old April 11, 2011, 01:24 PM   #18
steve1147

Quote:
Black Rain Ordnance?
Don't know, would a pic help? He did tell me it was stainless steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrell 001.jpg (85.5 KB, 155 views)
Old April 11, 2011, 07:14 PM   #19
bassfishindoc

I'm guessing you have been had. That does not look like a pic of a new firearm. I purchased a new RRA and it came in perfect condition. The pic you posted has numerous scuffs and scratches on the barrel, gas block, hand-guard, and screws. Have you fired it yet? Any way you an get your money back? Sounds like you may have a legal case if they sold it to you under false pretenses. You might want to go talk to the owner of the store you bought it from, and let us know the name of the shop so we can avoid them in the future.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old April 11, 2011, 08:38 PM   #20
TPAW

Smells fishy to me........
Old April 11, 2011, 10:46 PM   #21
cornbush

Hate to say it, but like a few others.... I think they pulled one over, RRA may want to get involved to help you out though....this guy is running their name.
Old April 12, 2011, 05:48 AM   #22
sailskidrive

Hmmmm

I'm not sure I agree that he got screwed over. Take the "almost a grand" he spent on the rifle, subtract out $50 for sales tax and about $100 for the ten boxes of ammo, that leaves $850 for the gun. Considering that it has a stainless barrel and at least some Rock River parts I don't think $850 is really that unreasonable. The real question is whether or not what he was buying was misrepresented as an actual Rock River factory gun.

$850 still won't buy an AR here on the western shore side of Maryland. I was in The Armory in Annapolis last week and they didn't have anything under grand. (the place is a rip off)
Old April 12, 2011, 04:29 PM   #23
steve1147

OK, got a phone call from "Kate" while ago from Rock River Arms.
Her reply: "We ship the parts out to the dealers, what they do with them after that is up to them". Period.
"We're not responsible". Period.
"Sorry you feel like that, but there's nothing we can do". Period.
When I asked if they monitor or qualify their dealers, I was told "We have thousands of dealers, we can't keep track of them all....".

It may not have been a 'bad deal' overall, but I don't LIKE to think I'm buying new and be sold used. Oh, by the way, "Kate" at Rock River properly let me know it was my responsibility to inspect the rifle at purchase to verify it's 'new' status.
I've NEVER had this even come-up in all my prior firearms purchases, but I'll definately be more careful from now on.

Thanks Everyone, Steve W.

Last edited by steve1147; April 13, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old April 12, 2011, 04:44 PM   #24
precision_shooter

Ok, I don't get why you're mad at RRA...

YOU bought a rifle from a shop that said it was an RRA rifle.

How is that RRA's fault?

It's like the Chinese Leupold knockoffs that were showing up a while back. It wasn't Leupold's fault that some other "company" was making Leupold Clones so why should Leupold fix a customer's mistake?

Same thing goes for this instance, It's not RRA's fault that a gunshop is selling rifles with an RRA lower and LPK and calling it an RRA rifle. There is nothing they can do about what some gunshop calls the rifle THEY BUILT. I don't know what you expected RRA to do about it...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 12, 2011, 04:45 PM   #25
Longdayjake

Yeah, I hate to say this but I think this is entirely your fault. You can blame Rock River all you want, but you had alarm bells going off in your head and you still walked out the door with the rifle. Anyone can buy Rock River parts and put a rifle together and call it a Rock River rifle. Its not like RRA can control in any way what people do. What is it that you expect them to do? Go stand in every gun shop and check every rifle with their lower on it to make sure it was made by them?

I agree that the dealership was being dishonest and that you have a legitimate gripe. However, when it comes to buying a new gun you need to make sure the gun is actually new before you take it home.

BTW that is not a RRA barrel. That I know for sure.

Also, you should shoot it and see how it does for you to see how angry you really are. It might be the most accurate rifle in the world.

Last edited by Longdayjake; April 12, 2011 at 04:50 PM.