The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
seansean1444

what gun would you choose?

what gun would you start with for a tactical, home defense shotgun?

reminton 870 (and the magnums ect)

mossberg 500

siaga 12.

i am leaning towards the siaga because of the ability to change mags

what would you choose and why???
Old April 3, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
ausher

I'm gonna wait and give that kel tec bull pup a whirl.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:21 PM   #3
rottieman33

Saiga 12 with 20 round drum, 4 10 round mags and 1 5 round mag

Last edited by rottieman33; May 11, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
seansean1444

ausher i would really like to know what people think about that kel tec
Old April 3, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Is there such a thing as a tactical home defense shotgun? I don't think there necessarily is, if you consider that a home defense gun is a type of tactical gun but not all tactical guns are ideal for home defense.

I vote for a more traditional pump shotgun, such as the Remington of Mossberg. The Kel Tec may prove to be well suited for home defense and close quarters, but it remains to prove itself. The saiga may be a decent general combat shotgun but is not well suited for the close quarters encountered in home defense. I am also concerned with its reliability.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
seansean1444

i just used tactical and home defense as one category. ie short barrel some light fixed on the weapon ect
Old April 3, 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Bamashooter

870 or the mossberg. I dont like saiga shotguns. Never have never will. If you want to shoot one thats fine by me.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
seansean1444

any specific reason why u dont like them or just in general dislike the gun overall. i would like to see a torture test of the siaga to be completely sold
Old April 3, 2011, 08:20 PM   #9
jmr40

870. Because they work.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:30 PM   #10
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
Have you considered the Weatherby Treat Response shotguns? I just bought one and absolutely love it, handling, capacity, balance. Its got it all.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Slugo

870 all the way...
Old April 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any of the listed ones will do a superb job when held in trained, experienced hands....

We ARE the weakest link, not the hardware.

Get the shotgun that feels best, add wear marks......
Old April 4, 2011, 04:44 PM   #13
model18

870 loaded with OO is all ya need!
Old April 4, 2011, 05:39 PM   #14
The Real Wyatt

SeanSean said:
"any specific reason why u dont like them or just in general dislike the gun overall. i would like to see a torture test of the siaga to be completely sold."

Here 'ya go ... a Russian torture test of the worst kind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSx22HRbnqo

I love my Saiga-12 but I did punish it once just to see how much it could take. I threw it into the trunk of my car with 12 cartons of Wally World Federal # 7 1/2 shotshells. One of the cartons was opened and I don't remember how many shells were still in it, 40, 50 or 60.

I went to the range and shot a couple hundred rounds then threw the shtogun back into the trunk of the car. I continued this for several weeks untill all those shotshells were gone ... well over 1,100 rounds. The shotgun lived in the trunk and was never cleaned during that period; it never once failed. It fed, shot and ejected every round.

Now I admit I don't know much about gas operated shotguns, but over 1,100 rounds without cleaning and no failures seems pretty darn reliable to me.
Old April 4, 2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

Of those, I would go with the 870. I went with a Mossberg 930 because I prefer semi-autos.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Will Beararms

My experience has been the balance of the 870 and BPS preclude some of the felt recoil. The Benelli Pumps and Mossberg Pumps kick me like a young mule would.

My experience is with practice and training, you can load an 870 with an extended mag very quickly getting into the habit of sliding another shell in as soon as one is shot working with a quality shell belt----not the cheap ones where the shells go all the way through. You need those that are closed on one end.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:41 AM   #17
jmortimer

I would look at a Mossberg 930 - more reliable than the Saiga and much faster shooting and less recoil than the pumps. otherwise flip a coin and get an 870 or 500. If I got an 870 I would spend the extra $$$ for the Police Grade.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:49 AM   #18
k511

+1 for the model 870,,, spend the extra $$ and go for the wingmaster model, you wont be sorry
Old April 5, 2011, 08:14 PM   #19
EdInk

The 870 without a doubt. I have used them all and is IMHO the handsdown winner. Get the HD model with 6rd magazine tube. The Saiga is a neat little toy but the 10rd magazines are a little bulky in the 12 gauge version. Plus, if you NEED more than 6rds of 12ga buckshot to handle a problem, you don't need a reload. You NEED some back-up and battle rifle!
Old April 5, 2011, 11:35 PM   #20
stonewall50

I would say that your BEST bet is to try what fits first. I myself have grown up on the 870 frame and ANYTHING different in a shotgun confuses me lol. Obviously I am biased, BUT the one thing that I can say is that a reliable pump shotgun is hard to beat for a few reasons.

1)Intimidation factor. When things go south and you are able to get a shotgun out inside of an enclosed home...that sound is probably one of the scarriest sounds on earth. It says, "Hey Do you feel lucky?" Let's face it that you would rather them just LEAVE than have to actually kill them. At least I hope you do.

2)Having hunted for MANY years with an 870 in Mississippi I can tell you that an unexpected rainstorm comes across a plowed muddy field where the temp is bouncing up and down around freezing, that of the 8 shotguns that were on the field the only 2 working were the 2 870s(nobody had a mossy so I cannot personally say anything about it, but I am sure it would have been fine). The Beneli, A5s, and over unders were not really happy to be outside at that point in time. But TBH you will never have that gun in THAT condition if it is a home defense weapon.

2 Short Version)I trust the pumps because hey are very unlikely to have an issue with ejection or workings, at least on the proven models of pumps.

3)PRICE TAG!!!! I can pick up a used 870 for how much? $200? $150? It is hard to sell the gun anyway because everyone already has one. Also the price on anything else you want. You can shoot any ammo you want (birdshot to buck shot) because YOU control the ejection and not the gun. Way more in terms of accessories as well.

Short version of this whole post is that you are best to go with what you are good at, but remember that there is a reason that everyone has an 870 or mossy in the cabinet. It is cheap, easy, and reliable.
Old April 6, 2011, 03:53 PM   #21
idek

I have no experience with the Saiga, but of the other two, I would prefer the mossberg. This is largely because the safety is more ambidextrous (I shoot lefty) and it's easier to tell at a glance if it's on FIRE or SAFE.

Also, the 870 has a lever where you load the shells in the magazine, the 500 does not. Obviously, many many people have used 870s effectively with that lever, and it is likely a non-issue provided a person practices enough, but it does add a minor obstacle to reloading that is not an issue on the 500. Not that people wear gloves inside their homes much, but there have been times when I've been hunting when the thumb of my glove snagged on that lever after loading a shell.

If you're talking about 500 vs 870 field models (and not tactical models) the 500 has 6-shot capacity vs the 870's 5-shot capacity.

As semi-autos have gotten more and more reliable, I really think something like a mossberg 930 may be the way to go. It's gotten to the point that human error (such as short-shucking) with a pump is probably more likely than failure in a semi-auto.
Old April 6, 2011, 08:05 PM   #22
fifthbell

870's, even abused and neglected, are just dead reliable. I use a magnum 20ga. 870 youth model for HD. The shorter stock (honestly, it's probably closer to the correct length for most shooters under 6') makes it handle quickly, the lighter recoil allows for faster follow ups and the barrel is only 21". It seems like a winner to me. Although, an old SxS 8 bore waterfowl piece with its barrels shortened to 20" would be mighty effective too...
Old April 6, 2011, 08:14 PM   #23
38superhero

Mossberg, or Maverick
Old April 6, 2011, 08:27 PM   #24
tazbigdog

I like 870's. Carried them for years and could tear down and re-build blindfolded. They work each and every time and I like the noise it makes when I rack it. Ability to handle anything, even up to mag loads. That would be my choice. Besides, a slug fired from them at 50 yards and able to hit the head every time!
Old April 6, 2011, 08:33 PM   #25
jmr40

The lever you are refering to on the 870 is the shell lifter. It raises the shells from the magazine up to the chamber. Almost every repeating shotgun except Mossberg 500's and the bottom eject Ithica's and Brownings use the same system. There may be others. All auto's use the same system as the 870. At best it is a non-issue. The Mossberg uses 2 levers on each side of the receiver to do the same, but are known to miss the shell, dumping it on the ground instead of feeding it into the chamber on rare occasions.