The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 26, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1
308Gunner

SIG P220 Front Sight

I've got a SIG P220 Euro I've been sitting on for a bit that needs some work, which includes, among other things, a new front sight insert. When I got it, the white insert was missing. Since the old Euros have an integrated front sight, I can't just buy a new one and swap out. I've tried to find just a white insert online with no luck.

My thought has been to use something along the lines of ceramics, putty, etc. to mold out a new one, let it dry, paint it white, and then put it in place of the original insert. My primary concern is if said materials would stand up to recoil force when its fired If anyone's got a suggestion, or thinks the above mentioned idea would work, feel free to input

— George Mason
Old March 27, 2011, 05:44 AM   #2
ogree

One possible method is to use a clear epoxy (5 minute or similar), mix in some white dye and apply it to the front sight.
When it dries, carefully trim off the excess with an exacto knife or razor blade.
If you use some small pieces of sheet metal or rigid plastic on either side of the front sight (held in place with a small clamp) it will help keep the epoxy in place till it sets up.
A little release agent on the sheet metal will prevent it from being glued on to your firearm, I use Johnson's paste wax. Lightly apply the past wax with your finger to the pieces and make sure and degrease the notch/hole for the insert well, acetone works (use something that doesn't leave a residue behind).

You will probably have to experiment a little first to get the mixture correct, too much dye (depending on what it is) and the epoxy won't set up correctly, too little and it won't look right.

Good Luck.
Old March 27, 2011, 08:09 AM   #3
grumpa72

How about a micro-dot application of Testor's Model paint? I bought some at the local hobby shop and all of my guns get a reapplication of this fluorescent paint a couple of times a year.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4
10-96

I had an idea sometime back while looking at the Call front sight on my S&W 38/44. Would it be too cost prohibitive to have a jeweler put a spot of gold solder in there? Seriously thinking about having this done on my 19-2.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.