The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2011, 03:17 AM   #1
bassfishindoc

EOTech Help

Hey everybody, I just got my RRR AR-15 and am loving it. I would really like an EOTech holographic sight for it. I started looking at them and quickly realized that there are a LOT of different options. Can anybody here who is familiar with EOTech sights fill me in on what would be a good sight for general all purpose AR shooting? What have your experiences been with the various EOTech sights? Are there any models to avoid? Thanks!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old March 4, 2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Rob228

I've had problems with the older models that don't have the big rubberized buttons, but I don't think they are selling them anymore and I can't recall the model #. I don't even think they sell those older ones, but if you find any deals on EoTech's with the flat buttons I'd stay away.

My bad results with those could have just been a result of them seeing too many shooting packages then being improperly stored in the Okinawa humidity, but it turned me off to any but the newer models. Sorry I can't be more specific with model numbers etc, hopefully this helped a bit.
Old March 4, 2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Carne Frio

The Model 512 is the least expensive and takes AA batteries.
I have had one for over two years and it works fine. To me,
the reticle is the best feature.
Old March 4, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
gearhounds

I have the 512 and it works fine; always cheap to feed with AA's, but spend the extra money on Energizer lithium batteries. Alkalines will work fine, but can corrode if left in place for months at a time.

If you are limited to mounting space or plan to ever mount it on something with real recoil, look at the XPS-2 (XPS-3 if you need NV compatable) that takes a single CR123 loaded transverse to the barrel line. Heavy pounding from a major cartridge can cause in line versions to pull the batteries out of contact and basically turn the sight off. On an AR platform, the 512 will do.