The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 7, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Question about old Mini-14

I have a Ruger Mini-14 which I purchased new in 1981. I know that Ruger has made changes to this rifle, but here I am with my ancient version. After almost 20 years since the last time I fired her, tonight I broke her down and cleaned her, and I must say she is about like new!

Couple of questions:

1. Can a scope be mounted on my old rifle and is it practical?

2. What are the enhancements with the later Mini-14s?

Love this old rifle and would never replace her. Just wanted to know.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:49 AM   #2
M.O.A.

i think they do make a scope mount for it but it mounts to the side of the action and i dont know how good they shoot with them mine was a rancher and came with the mounts and rings like all ruger bolt action guns do
u can look at the top of urs and see if it has the mounting grooves in it
Old February 8, 2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Snakedriver

I have an older 183-series standard Mini-14 that I bought new in 1982. I tried to mount a scope on it using the side-mounted bracket, but was never able to get it to hold zero for more than one or two shots. Some folks have reported that the B-Square Mini-14 mount is better than the rest because it has a couple more adjustments that will tighten it down more and keep it from jumping around. There is also a scope mount that is available that replaces the rear iron sight that is supposed to be pretty good, but I don't like the idea of eliminating the ability to use the irons.

Probably the best enhancement I ever did to my Mini-14 is adding a barrel stabilizer. They are available in commercial brands like Mo-Rod, Accustrut and Har-Bar. The items easily bolt onto your barrel to control the barrel whip that is especially bad in the older thin barrel Mini's. It will take gun that groups 6" at 100 yards with stringing from heat build-up and make it shoot a consistent 2" grouping with no stringing. A muzzle brake will also help stabilize the barrel whip. Mine is an old Choate M14 style.

I also put a Ramline composite stock on mine because my original wood stock was getting really beat-up and it has been a good aftermarket stock.

My Mini has never jammed and will eat any kind of ammo I choose to feed it. The 1:10 twist likes the lighter bullets. 55 and 62 grain bullets will work great in the older guns.

Good shooting to you and enjoy that Mini.

Here's mine:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 8, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Rogervzv

Thanks for the replies. I also do not like the idea of losing the ability to use the iron sights.

Can't put a flash suppressor or anything that looks like one on my rifle, due to the laws here in the People's Republic of California.

But I can enjoy the rifle as it is and I guess I will. I have the original wooden stock and it still looks like new. Going to go down to the gun store today and get a couple of extra magazines.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
DnPRK

Forget about the mount that replaces the bolt hold open cover. They shoot loose and are frustrating.

There are a couple mounts for older Minis, but they require long eye relief scopes.
Amega mount
Ultimak mount

I have the Amega on my Mini. It works great and holds zero.
I also have a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer like Snakedriver shows in his post above.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:16 PM   #6
ozarkrecluse

I have the B-Square mount on mine and it has worked out very well.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I always used the B-Square mount with a Weaver K4, much to the disappointment of some coyotes and a bunch of jackrabbits...
Old February 10, 2011, 07:16 PM   #8
TriumphGuy

Another vote for the B-Square mount here. I haven't had any trouble with mine. I've even got the Ruger scope mounts on my ranch rifle, I just liked the idea of using either the scope or the irons.
Old February 10, 2011, 09:38 PM   #9
dgludwig

My B-Square mount worked fine also, but I later took the scope off and opted to stick with the factory peeps. I like the concept of an open-sighted, easy to handle and transport "ranch" rifle and, to me, that configuration works best sans a scope.
Old February 12, 2011, 03:54 PM   #10
walkenbear

S&K scout mount. Rock Solid. Fits onto the rear sight replaces the peep. Short Video here on installing the sight. A bit spendy, about $70 new, but they show up time to time on ebay or gunbroker auction sights for a lot cheaper.
One on gunbroker right now.
Tip: If you use the S&K scope mount turn scope 90 degrees, so windage adjustment turret is on top, turning the scope will prevent the ejected case from hitting the windage turret and bouncing back into the action causing a possible jam. Turned 90 degrees it's 100% reliable, no jams. It's because the standard mini ejects brass more vertically than the newer ranch mini's that were built to accept scopes, their brass ejects more to the side.