The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Mossberg 500

Just purchased a Mossberg 500... need some first hand knowledge.

Hey all, i just today purchased a Mossberg 500 (3 in 1) 12 gauge that came with 18.5" barrel and a 28" barrel also a pistol grip.
I am looking to just shoot for fun like at posted targets and paper targets and so on for now. Then futurewise to start shooting skeet and all that fun stuff. So the guy at DICKS sporting goods (my local ammo shop, that wont totally rip me off by charging 8 bucks over the ammo price) They told me to start out with Remington Game and Target Loads 2 3/4 length 7/8 oz shot #8 and a box of Remington 2 3/4 1 oz #8 shot. Just wondering is this good ammo for beginner? Also what ammo do you guys recommend for future shooting of clays, targets, some range shooting, and home defence when im not upstate or at the range? Id appreciate it. Please no rude comments, i understand this is my first shotgun, an assistance will be a great help. Thanks.

-Nick
Old January 23, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For just goofin' around, any ammo is fine... the 100 round "bricks" aka: promo loads at walmart are the lowest cost per round short of reloading yer own.

I even use them for any thing a #8 or 7 1/2 is good for.

I buy game loads by the 25 round box for larger game requiring #6 thru #4 or larger.

For HD I use the winchester super "X" (low budget) by the 15 round box.

Same for deer or I might shoot slugs.

I ain't got a clue what is a quality round for the skeet/trap/sporting clays fields but I bet you could spend a bunch if you wanted to.

Brent
Old January 23, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3
oneounceload

Dicks will put the Remington Gun Clubs on sale ab out every three weeks or so around here for about $5-6/box. There may still be a rebate on these as well. They are a little lighter than the game loads in some application.

For fun, you don't need anything more than 7/8 or 1 oz in 12 gauge - recoil is your enemy in that regard

Quote:
that wont totally rip me off by charging 8 bucks over the ammo price
Not sure I understand this comment
Old January 23, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4
pabuckslayer08

The 7/8 you talked about will do well for goofing around on targets and even shooting some clays, for hunting doves and what not I like the Remington 2 3/4" Game Loads that are real cheap at dicks, for bigger birds like pheasants and what not I use Remington High Brass 8 shot 3". For defense rounds I personally like bird shot but everyone will bust that down saying it doesnt work and wont even penetrate a jacket but I have yet to find one of them that will let me demonstate what I mean.
Old January 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

Quote:
what ammo do you guys recommend for future shooting of clays
I still reload em.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:08 PM   #6
oneounceload

For targets, a 7/8 or 1oz load of 8 or 7-1/2 will do just fine
Old January 23, 2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Mossberg 500

Appreciate all the help. How about for like regulation ammo for clay shooting? Honestly what im looking to do, is shoot and have fun. Would like to shoot all available ammo for this mossberg, such as double buck and all the other shells that i dont know yet. Tryning to get knowledge before shooting. I do not know what brand or type burn cleanest or what would be best for the mossberg. Any assistance on that? And also how do you clean the gun after use?

-Nick
Old January 23, 2011, 06:52 PM   #8
DiscoRacing

Ive had five or six mossy 500s over the years... I have shot pretty much everything in em... no problems with any that I have used.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Appreciate all the help.
Yer welcome.
Quote:
How about for like regulation ammo for clay shooting?
Others will have to help with that...
Quote:
Honestly what im looking to do, is shoot and have fun. Would like to shoot all available ammo for this mossberg, such as double buck and all the other shells that i dont know yet.
Well then, you will like shooting some cheap slugs to lob large gobs of lead just for S&G and to learn POA-POI coordination.
Quote:
Tryning to get knowledge before shooting. I do not know what brand or type burn cleanest or what would be best for the mossberg. Any assistance on that?
I can't think of any that are dirtier than the rest from my experience but the guys shooting auto loaders would be more up on that as grunge affects those guns with a quickness...
Quote:
And also how do you clean the gun after use?
I run a copper brush once to knock out the heavy stuff so my swab, which I use next, will last a bit longer before needing replaced... Any universal kit will suffice... hoppes #9 solvent and a light oil for liquids...

Brent
Old January 23, 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
oneounceload

Not sure what you mean by regulating shooting for clay shooting.

ANY basic target loads - from the nasty wally world promo loads to the really nice target loads from B&P or Remington will work. You do NOT need anything over 1oz to break clay targets, and your shoulder will thank you down the road. Damage from recoil is a cumulative effect, and while you may not think anything is happening, every shot is doing something to you - much like shooting without hearing protection does - low recoil is best

Quote:
And also how do you clean the gun after use?
Read your owner's manual and follow the directions
Old January 23, 2011, 07:23 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

This vid is great tutorial for field strip and reassembly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekCslIUWMQ
Brent
Old January 23, 2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Vermonter

You have made a great choice. I have the exact same gun and it was my first firearm that I owned. The 500 is highly versitile. The only question I have for you is...why the 3 in 1 with the rifled 18.5 barrel?

If you have no plans of hunting you may have been able to find something in a 28" for cheaper. If you do plan on using that barrel for hunting than I would suggest sabbot slugs for deer and so forth. Remmington makes a good sabbot that packs a punch. I have even bear hunted with it.

Vermonter
Old January 24, 2011, 07:48 AM   #13
maierar

All the above is valid and valuable. If you want more Mossberg info look here: http://www.mossbergowners.com/index.php