The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Clean a mosin with a boresnake.

I was wondering if I'm cleaning my mosin with a boresnake right. Since I have milsurp ammo, I will be cleaning after ever day of shooting. I have hoppes #9 and a .30 cal boresnake. What I do is put some #9 on the beginning of the boresnake, then some before the brass bristles and then some at the end and slid it through the barrel 5 or 6 times. Am I doing it right?
Old January 13, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
myshoulderissore

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe you need something water based also, due to the corrosive nature of the milsurp ammo. I bet someone smarter than me posts soon to confirm or deny that...
Old January 13, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
2damnold4this

I'd use hot water with dish-washing detergent in it first. Then I'd clean it with the Hoppe's.
Old January 13, 2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Bogie

Of course, that is assuming that the owner is shooting corrosive ammo...

Personally, the bore snake should work okay, but I'd go with a better solvent than Hoppes - it's good for lead and carbon, but not so good on copper...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 13, 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
doofus47

If you're shooting corrosive ammo, you need to move the mercuric salts out of the barrel.
I take a small contact solution bottle filled with half water/ half ammonia wash. I run it through on a patch right after range time while the barrel is still hot. I follow quickly afterwards with a clean, dry patch to sop up the barrel. The hot barrel dries any I've missed very quickly.
I THEN used Hoppes 9 on my boresnake.
I finished with an oil-wet patch and a dry patch after that.

I have shot lots of milsurp 8mm and 7.62x54r and 7.62x25. I have never had a rust issue.

Some people prefer to use straight hot water with or without soap.
Some people prefer to use windex.
I don't see issues with either of these methods so long as the barrel is dry before you boresnake.

If you only use the boresnake, I think that you will be dragging the salts back onto the barrel after the first pass of the snake.

my 2c. Happy shooting; Mosins are very fun.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
HunterGuy

I use an all purpose copper/nitro solvent on a patch, run it through once then use the bore snake. Rinse and repeat after you start to run a semi clean patch through start with dry patches.

Last patch I run through the gun is a protective oil patch so no rust or any corrosion will set on the inside while storing.

Edit: Also, I suggest using a bore guide.
Old January 13, 2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Nick9130White

Thank you very much, I'll bring my little oil can that came with the mosin and fil half ammonia and half water for the range and a boresnake when I get home. Thank you for all your help.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
railroader

I use a rod with a patch and water or windex for corrosive ammo. I then use my boresnake with some cleaner. No rust yet. Mark
Old January 13, 2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Bamashooter

All i have ever used was hot water to get the corrosive salts out then just clean as usual. as has already been stated there are several diffrent ways you can accomplish this. i have 3 mosin nagants and have never had one rust yet.