The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Redd_Daetona

20 Gage Slugs/Sabots - which to you prefer?

I'll be white tail deer hunting for the most part. My gun is semi-auto, rifled choke tube, with a 2x7 scope etc etc.

Looking for the best hunting performance, with accuracy,range, and energy- developed my priorities.

Thanks
Redd
Old January 1, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2
pabuckslayer08

With just a rifled tube you may be better off with slugs, usually with full rifled barrels sabots are the only way but with smoothbore then a twist at the end slugs will probably be best and keep it under 100 yards for sure
Old January 3, 2011, 03:59 AM   #3
idek

You may be able to shoot some sabots, but accuracy may not be great. If you go that route, try some of the slower ones.

Otherwise, if you want something other than the standard foster slugs, you might look at some of Brenneke's options. They work in smooth bores but the company says rifled chokes generally help the accuracy. Remington's Buckhammer slugs are specifically advertised as suitable for rifled barrels OR rifled chokes.