The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Scribe

General purpose shotgun, Remington 1100

Hi all, I'm after some advice as my knowledge of shotguns is limited.

I have acquired by default a Remington 1100. 24 inch ventilated barrel, bead shotgun fore sight, no rear sight, right handed action, 10 shot magazine. The finish is worn, but otherwise it seems in good nick. I am mainly a rifle shooter so just one to have one shotgun.
I want to use it for rough shooting, clay pigeon, hunting etc. But have just joined a club that does practical and target shotgun shooting rifled slug out to 1oo yards as well as the more conventional stuff.

What I am contemplating is to take off the 10 rounder and buy a spring and cap so that the magazine finishes at the end of the foregrip and use it for clays and rough shooting etc. Then I could get a non ventilated barrel with a rifle foresight and a rear sight and for practical shooting and competition I could swap the barrel and bung the long magazine back on.

So my questions are ;

1) is it easy to swap the barrels on a Remington 1100? and if so;

2) does anybody manufacture a rifle type sight for a shotgun where the rear sight is mounted on the rear end of the barrel where it joins the breach.

All replies, comments and advice gratefully received.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Ludarue

Sounds like what you need is a slug barrel I'm guessing. Go to your local gun shop, or you can find them all over the place online. Example below:

Old December 14, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
dalecooper51

Barrels are easy to swap.

A few companies make sights that will clamp right to the vent rib that work pretty well.
Old December 14, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Scribe

The slug barrel sounds just right. To be leagl in this country the barrel would have to be smooth bore and 24 inches or longer. Do you know if these are available?

Many thanks for your help.
Old December 14, 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
BODAME

Old Reliable 1100s

Verify 24Inch Smooth Bore. One of the most common 1100 Smooth Bore Barrells is a 21 Inch with Rifle Sights.
Also check out Remington Arms Website for a full selection of available Barrels
and Choke Barrels.
Check out : 1100 Remington Assembly and Disassembly on the Internet
The videos are great show & tell.
I have used 1100s for Ducks, Wild Hogs, Dear, Doves, Clay Birds and most currently Steel and Cardboard in MutiGun USPSA.
The 1100 is one of the Best Autos in my Old Book.
Old December 14, 2010, 07:56 PM   #6
zippy13

In the US, the Remington 1100 rifle sight, smooth bore, barrels are 21-inches long. I don't know if they make special barrels for the UK.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Ludarue

Quote:
To be leagl in this country the barrel would have to be smooth bore and 24 inches or longer.
Why only smooth bore? Do you know?
Old December 15, 2010, 03:54 AM   #8
shortwave

Your best bet is to call Rem. to see if they ever made a 24 inch slug barrel. Have never seen one.

You may have to get a new/used standard long bbl and modify it to your specs.

While you've got Rem. on the phone, you may want to order a new o-ring for your used shotgun as you don't know the shape of the one on your existing bbl. You'll see where oring goes when you remove the forearm.

Also, when you remove the bbl for cleaning, you'll notice two small holes under the ring that holds the bbl on the reciever. Make sure those two holes are very clean. These two holes are where the shotgun gets its gases from to cycle.

Goodluck!
Old December 16, 2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Scribe

Ludarue

In England it is illegal for a private person to possess a centre fire semi automatic rifle, which is what an 1100 would become if you fitted it with a rifled barrel.
Old December 16, 2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Doyle

To properly care for that 1100, you'll need a good disassembly manual so that you can properly clean that gas action. Pick up a few of the O-rings. You'll need to replace one every few years and it never hurts to have some on hand.
Old December 18, 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Scribe

To all who replied to this thread, many thanks.
I will email Remington to see if they will do a custom 24 inch slug barrel. I will also get a good manual and some o rings.

DaleCooper51

can you specify who makes the bolt on irons, because that might be a way to go.

Thank you.
Old December 18, 2010, 06:59 PM   #12
dalecooper51

Quote:
Can you specify who makes the bolt on irons, because that might be a way to go.

Thank you.
I use a pair of truglo sights that clamp on the vent rib. They are the Magnum gobbler sights.

They work well for me. I know Sims makes some and so does Williams.

http://www.basspro.com/TruGlo-Pro-Se.../22022/-988849
Old December 19, 2010, 05:14 AM   #13
Scribe

dalecooper51

Those look just the ticket. I will check them out. Thank you.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:22 AM   #14
Scribe

Regarding this old thread, I thought I would post an update. The 1100 when examined proved to have a non ventilated 24" barrel with a bead foresight. I got it checked with a gunsmith who said it was safe and I read up on it on a down loaded manual. I shot it for the first time yesterday at my new club. Target shotgun shooting solid slug at ranges of 30 metres of less. The club is a good bunch of chaps with a relaxed attitude about everything, except safety. On this they are uncompromising.

The shotgun stuttered at first, and then ran quite smoothly. In 72 rounds of slug I had one fail to eject which I cleared quickly. Not bad for a gun which hasn't been fired in over ten years.

One definite problem is that the last round out of the magazine always stuck half way out of the magazine. Easy to clear, pull back and lock the action, tap the loading gate latch, and fire. Has any one encountered something similar?

Regarding the barrels and sights I am going to get some Remington slug sights from Brownells and get them put on the current barrel. I may put some Xpress Sight System express sight blades on the bases. For clay pigeon and sporting use I am going to buy a spare ventilated barrel and a new magazine cap and short spring.

All in all I am very taken with the gun.
Old March 16, 2011, 07:39 AM   #15
lmccrock

Quote:
One definite problem is that the last round out of the magazine always stuck half way out of the magazine.
Might be a weak magazine spring. Not sure the best place on your side of the pond, but Brownells would be the place over here. Probably the long magazine spring for Benelli would be good, since that is what my 1100 uses as the replacement, although my 1100 magazine only holds 9. If you can figure out who made the magazine extension, they would know what mag spring for sure.

Practical shotgun (like IPSC) questions would be well answered on the Brian Enos forums.

Lee
Old March 17, 2011, 02:55 AM   #16
Scribe

Immcrock

Many thanks, I will check this out.