The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

Low pressure & high velocity cast loads

Hey All ,,,

Ran accross a very informative article on this subject you should put on your "must read" list if you are serious about casting and like the thought of getting it right the first time whenever possible. It has me going back to the bench for sure,,, dont have a web address but google up the following ,,,

Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors, go to gun room articles or archives and look for Low Pressure & High Velocity with Cast Bullets written by Andy Moe .

Enjoy the Ride, 10 SPOT
Old November 12, 2010, 05:02 PM   #2
GP100man

Shhhhh !

Don`t tell everybody the secret to shooting cast lead is scarce enuff as is & gonna get scarcer !!!

But still a good read though & a good insight to how pressure affects the bullet in the bore .
Old November 12, 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Just starting to read Lee's treatment of the subject. Interesting indeed.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:21 AM   #4
snuffy

web addy

http://www.jesseshunting.com/article...egory16/9.html

That's a very good, well written article. AND it's correct! I only wish he would have told us which bullet he was using,(mold #),, and what the alloy, lube, and what it was sized at. I don't have a triple deuce, but some day I WILL have a bolt action in .223. I already have several .223 molds, and have tried casting some bullets.

I have a 16" contender barrel, that I tried some in, with mixed results. I also tried a few in my AR, even though the common knowledge is that should not work! The main problem is with the gas system getting clogged, the few I shot did NOT do that, but they also did not cycle the action. Accuracy was only so-so.

I'm gonna retire in 01-2012, so I will have the time to experiment.

My experience with cast in 45/70 tells me he's right on the numbers. Softer alloys begin to deteriorate when you push over a certain velocity/pressure. As he, and Richard Lee says, it's the pressure related to the alloy, that's the important factor. The velocity is what it is. Or in other words, you can manipulate the velocity by controlling the hardness of your alloy and the powder choice to control the pressure.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 13, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

For my .44 mag. I favored using a hard cast Keith style SWC even at high velocities. Never had a leading problem. My bullets were bought from a now closed company in Arkansas called Oliver's Bullets. They were the best cast bullets I ever used and were quite reasonably priced. Wish I knew his alloy formula, I would cast my own but haven't been able to duplicate.
Yes, softer bullets are "no-no's" for high velocity.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
GP100man

A short twist & Hi velocitys are a nono!

Hi velocitys with just a bit of twist & alittle antimony of course !!