The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 18, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Hardy

NIB 2nd & 3rd Authentic Colts

I have a few 2nd and 3rd Generation Colts. Sold a 36 2nd NIB Police in black box w/paperwork attached. No scratches. The guy broke it down and brought the barrel back to my store w/cleaning rod and a patch w/black rusted red. He wasn't mad, he just wanted to show me that it had been fired. I told him that when I bought it I never fired it. And I bought it as new and unfired. I said that gun was made in the 70's and packed w/factory grease. If it was test fired in that day and sitting w/grease 30+/- years it might not have been fired . Now...after examining the the other ones...including a Robert E Lee a Walker and a Baby Dragoon...
Should these barrels and cylinders be cleaned??? And --are these guns NIB???
Old October 19, 2010, 05:25 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

I would clean and grease if they are going to be in long term storage. If you keep all bags, tags and paper work in original place it think it would be NIB.

A few year ago I bought abut a dozen 2nd and 3rd gens that were NIB but stored poorly. They all had considerable corrosion on them. After many hours of work I was able to get most back to 99% or better. Two lost finish and had a few tiny pits.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Yup.....

At a gun show recently I examined a Pietta 1851 which the vendor told me was new and unfired. All of the chambers were corroded as was the barrel. Apart from that the pistol was excellent and could easily have passed for unfired.

The vendor's price was way out of line so I let the pistol go.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I would clean and grease if they are going to be in long term storage. If you keep all bags, tags and paper work in original place it think it would be NIB.
+1

Packaging of the 2nd Gen & Sig Series Colt's (not to mention repros by other makers) wasn't meant to protect them for 30+ years under perfect, much less questionable or less than ideal, storage conditions.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 24, 2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Hardy

Thanks everyone so much. People that have 20 to 40 year old guns now need to inspect. My RELee looks great but the bluin on barrel is almost mirror like and polishing it produces swirls of rainbow colors--is that good The 150 aniversary colt walker w/ flask and box I'm gonna keep unless you want it.