The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 22, 2000, 09:59 PM   #1
Bob Locke

Shot on Friday night. Missed Expert in SSP by about 10 seconds.

Blew it on the 3rd stage again (two complete misses on the third target while shooting around the left side of the barricade).

Total time: 130.28.

Not bad for the second time around. I shaved a full 20 seconds off my time of only one month ago. Expert is in the bag next go 'round!
Old July 23, 2000, 11:11 PM   #2
Ron Ankeny

I know how you feel. I have shot one IDPA match and it was the classifier. I missed expert by two seconds in CDP. :-(

I am not sure what the intent of the classifier really is. I mean, should a guy practice it and shoot it over and over until you get into master class? Or, should a person shot it once to establish a "base" then move up through the classes by competing in matches?

Old July 23, 2000, 11:39 PM   #3
Bob Locke

The classifier serves as a handicapping system, much as exists in golf. However, unlike in golf, if you regularly win your division you can (and will) be promoted to the next level to prevent sand-bagging.

At my level right now, I think I could probably train myself to shoot master in a handful of months, but only if that classifier string of fire was all I practiced. As it is, my improvement has come from regular match participation and a little range time. That is how it should be, I believe.

Any way you cut it, it's a LOT of fun!
Old July 24, 2000, 04:50 PM   #4
jfrancis

Ron,

The Classifier is actually quite a good all-around skills test. I like to shoot it regularly to monitor the effects of my training. Its purpose in IDPA is to insure that you compete against shooters of similar skill level. It is certainly possible to 'practice' yourself into a higher class than you might otherwise achieve, but I think by doing so you will become a better shooter anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

The only way you can move up a class in matches is by winning at an IDPA-sanctioned match - usually State or National Championships. Even then, automatic advancement will depend on how many other shooters were in your Division and Class.

I have been at Expert level for a year and am still some way from qualifying Master. As Bob has noted above, Stage 3 is the key here. Sub-40 second times on this stage are pretty much essential to make Master.

John Francis
Old July 24, 2000, 07:44 PM   #5
Bob Locke

Stage 3 is definitely the key! I don't think you have to get under 40 seconds, though, depending on what classification you're shooting. For SSP, I think I have a total of 98 seconds (in that ballpark) for Master. That means I have to be in the low 40's, but not under it. I've gotten pretty good at the two-to-the-body, one-to-the-head failure drills (right at 2 sec's flat), so that gives me a little time to work with. If I'd just quit missing the target entirely, I'd be shooting Expert right now!

Master is a WHOLE different story, though....
Old July 24, 2000, 10:10 PM   #6
Ron Ankeny

OK, I think I have it now. Since I missed the next class up by only 2 seconds, I think I'll practice the classifier a bit and re-shoot it. I despise sand baggers and I think it would be pretty lame if I stayed in my present class if I can move up.

I suppose a good plan would be for me to continue to shoot, practice and improve at IDPA and IPSC and maybe shoot the classifier every six months or so. To me, what is most important is for a shooter's classification to accurately reflect his/her ability.

Bob:

Barnhardt has a series of instructional tapes out for IPSC shooting. I too was having some difficulty shooting around the barricade. I have practiced Barnhardt's barricade "style" and it really works for me. Putting his barracaide drills to work in combination with setting up in the kneeling position is bound to help. While there are some differences between IPSC and IDPA the mechanics of hitting the target are pretty much the same and the IPSC guys seem to really have the art of shaving time off down to a science. Of course, you still need to hit the target.
Old July 25, 2000, 04:22 PM   #7
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I took a month off before shooting a classifier.. I went from dead-eye dick to waterboy second class.. It pays to shoot matches twice a month every month.. I'm still trying to get back in my groove.

Dr.Rob

Front Range IDPA
Novice ESP (Hi Power)
Old July 26, 2000, 06:57 AM   #8
Bob Locke

I try not to miss a match here locally. We have them on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday's and Thursday's (used to be just Wed., but too many people are involved so now it's BOTH days) of each month. Classifiers are usually one day a month, typically on a Friday on an off-week.

I have zero experience with IPSC, but have heard that it is more equipment intensive.

Selling my Sig P239 on Thursday, buying the Glock 19 on Friday!

Bob's a happy boy!