The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Auss1e

which order for cast bullets?

Ok so i cast but i need to lube prior to sizing in my LEE sizer, which then means they are covered in Alox so i cant oven harden. But if i heat treat in the oven and then size they say sizing will reduce hardness?? So which step comes when?
Old June 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
reloader28

I am no expert and others will come with better opinions than mine, but I run mine thru the lube sizer dry, then heat treat, then run back thru and lube.

I've had no problems doing this, so its the way I do it IF I heat treat, which I seldom do. I dont see a problem dry sizing as the size die is much harder than the lead. If it starts screwing up the boolit, then try something else.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:45 PM   #3
snuffy

Auss1e, some use a solution of dish soap and water, about 50-50% to lube while sizing. Then a rinse in plain water to remove the soap. Others use case lube on the bullet to ease it's passage through the sizer. Sizing bare is not a good idea. The sizer will lead up just like a gun barrel.

As far as surface softening of a heat treated bullet, I don't know if, or how much softening occurs.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 19, 2010, 01:34 AM   #4
chris in va

Quote:
Auss1e, some use a solution of dish soap and water, about 50-50% to lube while sizing
I'm gonna have to try that...right now I'm using liquid ALOX to size, but when I reapply afterward it ends up with too much on the boolit nose and gums up my feeding cycle.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
noylj

Sizing

Why size? A bullet 0.002" larger will shoot just fine. All I do is tumble them. Never saw a need to harden except for magnums.
Old July 17, 2010, 08:39 PM   #6
GP100man

As long as a lead bullet will chamber , shoot it !

I have a bullet for 7.62 that`s 314 , I lube & size 314 then size it with a 310 ,it springs back to 312 & my Rem 700 loves it !!!!!

The Rem won`t chamber a 314 tried but too tite !!!
Old July 17, 2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Rusty W

I water drop .30cal bullets straight out of the mold into a pan/bucket of water. Size within a couple hours of casting with a Lee sizer while they're still wet. Pistol bullets I use straight wheelweights, no treatment just air cooled. A couple Lee molds drop at .360 for a 38spl bullet I use. I load a few and make sure they'll chamber, if they do I load the batch and shoot. No problems so far using the same style bullet for 9mm & 38/357.
Old July 18, 2010, 02:49 AM   #8
noylj

Lee Bullet Lube Kit

Don't know why the unlubricated bullet should lead up the Lee cast bullet sizing die? My Lubrisizer dies never leaded up. Also, I would think that lubing before sizing would be more likely to "squeeze" the lube into the bullet surface than wipe the lube off. Also, you need so little Alox that I can't see there being a need to add more.
As anyone experimented with NOT following the Lee instructions and see what happens? I figure Lee knows what they are doing, but maybe they are trying to sell more LLA?

I tumble lube some of my lead bullets (see my topic on results of liquid bullet lubricants on swaged and cast/lubed bullets) and need just a hint of yellow (or whatever color the LLA is--I'm color blind, sorry) on the bullets. I have never had too little on the bullet. What I would love is some way (like for fingerprinting) to have a very thin film of ALOX on glass and just roll the bullet over the surface. Maybe add a little mineral spirits as the LLA "dries" up. There really should be some way to apply LLA without wasting a bunch or having to apply it over the whole bullet.