The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
oneounceload

Remington 1100 part 71 - replacement

I have a 28 gauge 1100 that wanted to throw away the operating (charging) handle today. At home cleaning it, I saw that part 71, called in the diagram as the Operating Handle Plunger Retainer, had broken a small piece off of this already small piece. The girl from Remington was trying to give me instructions from a shop manual, but it started to get into removing parts 15, 16, 17, and 83 (all part of the Breech Bolt Return Plunger).

Does anyone have an idea? Is this going to become one of those repairs I would have wished I just took to the smith in the first place?

Thanks for any help
Old June 17, 2010, 04:40 AM   #2
ogree

Shouldn’t be any big deal, you will have to pull the barrel off and then pull out the bolt and the action bar assy.
You may have to reach in with your finger to depress the shell latches as you slide the bolt forward in order to get the bolt out of the front of the receiver.
Then using an appropriate size pin punch and small hammer, tap out the retaining pin (part 75A) that holds in the “Slide Lock Buffer/Operating Handle Plunger Assy. (Parts 83,16,15,71 & 70). Be careful when pulling the pin out cause the parts are under spring tension and will have a tendency to come flying out......disappearing never to be found again.
Remove the broken part, install the new part and then re-assemble the unit. (print out an exploded drawing to have on hand)
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11917

Pretty simple.

Good luck.