The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Lubing patches with crisco only on one side

Ok so there is supposed to be no silly questions here

Just picked up some crisco from a USA food store here in Australia, I wanted to try the real thing.

So looking at this crisco, and lubing patches in general is there anything wrong with only lubing one side ?

Most people seem to want to melt the lube and dunk the patches in lubing both sides, but why lube the ball side of the patch ?

It seems that by just rubbing the patch around on the crisco should lube one side just fine, and use that side as the outside of the patch, this may take a bit longer than dunking in melted lube, but does away with the melting part.

Or does melting make the crisco stick better, just asking ?
Old June 16, 2010, 05:48 AM   #2
B.L.E.

If you lube your patches ahead of time, by the time you get out to the range, the Crisco will have soaked through the entire patch anyway.
I have always lubed only one side of my patches and by the time it was time to use then, you couldn't tell which side was lubed.

I seem to get the best accuracy with patches that are lubed sparingly instead of saturated with lube.
Old June 16, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
arcticap

I apply the softer but similar Bore Butter paste by rubbing it in by hand (wearing thin vinyl gloves ) to work it into the patch. It usually melts into the patch as it quickly reaches body temperature.
I do tend to use too much rather than not enough, but the excess lube seems to mostly get squeezed out at the muzzle when the ball is started.

By applying it liberally the accuracy may suffer a bit, but the trade off is that I can shoot moderate loads for hours without needing to swab out the barrel at all.
Since I carry so much stuff to the range as it is, I would rather just leave my cleaning rod, attachments and cleaning solution at home.

I never used Crisco, but if I did I would melt it in or apply enough to throughly saturate the patch. How over saturated I make it may depend on the type of powder that I'm shooting, the size of the powder charges and how much fouling it leaves behind, the length of the barrel that I would like to keep coated with lube, and the thickness of the patches.

A very thin patch may not hold enough lube for shooting heavy powder charges out of a long barrel. So the amount can be adjusted depending on your needs and remember that most of the excess lube gets squeezed out at the crown when the PRB is loaded.
No one likes to load a barrel when it gets crusted up with powder residue. So be sure to use enough to keep it soft all of the way down to the breech unless you want to swab out the barrel more often.
Some guns need to be swabbed out very often for better accuracy and some guns shoot a little better (or at least good enough for plinking ) after they're warmed up and a little bit fouled.

Last edited by arcticap; June 16, 2010 at 06:53 PM.