The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1
rc

327 Federal Rifle Survey

Is there much interest here for a .327 "Handi Rifle"? If so, speak up and let me know what you think. I had wanted a .32 magnum rifle years back and bought the first Marlin I could find. Only problem is that it doesn't feed 32 short, long and magnum interchangably and loads like a .22 and not a centerfire. It's also overly heavy for a small game walking rifle. Marlin didn't really get it right from the start and now it's not with us any longer. Marlin 32s can lock up with anything other than standard length 32 mag cartridges and didn't turn out to be as versatile as it should have been. Now that the .327 federal seems to be gaining a cult following from 32 fanatics everywhere, I wonder if there would be enough demand for Marlin/NEF to chamber a handi rifle for the round similar to the open sight 22 hornet model with a light contour 18 inch barrel and good quality bead sight. This would be a very versatile small game rifle capable of cat sneeze CB cap like performance with 32 shorts and real roaring varmint power with the 327 pushing 30 carbine velocities. I think the biggest factor holding back the popularity of this round is the lack of reasonably priced ammo. If this could be marketed with ammo selling for just over 22 magnum prices, it would blow the socks off the 22 magnum for many applications and would be far more practical than downloading a 30 caliber centerfire rifle with huge case capacity and large action for varmint work. So if you think this would be a good idea, speak up and let's make a roar!
Old May 23, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Crazy Carl

I'd love to see a Marlin 1894 in .327. 'Course, then I'd hafta pick up a Blackhawk in .327 to go with it...
Old May 23, 2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Crosshair

I'd certainly buy one, though I only load 32 H&R. I would hope they use a proper .312" bore and not use a .308" like Thompson Center does. Though they may have to to get the price where they want it.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
gak

Not a NEF for me--though for others I'd like to see it--but a proper Rossi 92 and/or Marlin lever gun, a resounding "yes!" And, with the Marlin, not a heavy octagonal like before. The round's just begging (as did the H&R) for a trim lever carbine. Of course, like the 38/357 or 44Sp/44Mag pairings, I'd love to see it handle the H&R as well.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:40 AM   #5
10-96

NEF- no, not for me. However, a levergun or a mini High Wall, Low Wall, or Trap door, or even a mini Martini would separate me from my dollars!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:32 AM   #6
roy reali

Why Not?

Some of you are saying not the NEF. Why?

Years ago I purchased one in .357 magnum. I has a gunsmith convert it to .357 Maximum. This rifle will now shoot: 38 Specials, .357 magnums, and of course, .357 Max.. It is one of my most versatile rifles. I would imagine chambering an NEF to the ,327 magnum would make for a dandy versatile rig.

If some of you think that NEF's can't handle it, look up hot ammo available for the .45-70. NEF's are included in the list of guns that can handle those rounds.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:51 AM   #7
taylorce1

I think any Handi Rifle will sell pretty decent in areas that use a single shot and where a straight wall pistol cartridge is legal for deer hunting. However the .327 Federal would still be a little light on the power needed to hunt with. I'm no pistol cartridge expert I pretty much deal whith the standard stuff 9mm, .38/.357, and .45 ACP. I think a .41 Rem Mag would be a better choice for any single shot rifle that might be used for hunting.

Not many people are just going to buy a single shot rifle chambered in a pistol cartridge for plinking. Now a lever action will probably sell better for a plinking rifle but then Marlin probably isn't going to chamber any new cartridges with the plant moving for a while. Plus a .327 Fed probably wouldn't sell enough to make it a worth while endeavor.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8
horseman308

I'm not sure about whether I'd be interested in the cartridge, but as to the question, "Why not an NEF Handi Rifle?"

I just don't like 'em. I realize that they are a wonderful value. If my only interest in a gun was that it went bang, and not much else mattered, then an NEF would be fine. But the truth is that for a single shot rifle, it's kinda boring. A high wall or Ruger #1 is just more interesting. Now, back the question about that .32 cartridge....
Old May 24, 2010, 01:23 PM   #9
The Great Mahoo

I'd love to get a lever-gun in .327. It'd be a perfect match to my .327 revolver, and make for a fantastic small game rifle/plinker.

Not sure about an NEF; not really my cup of tea.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:03 AM   #10
rc

I think this caliber would fit the same nich as a .22 hornet and not replace the 44 mag. I think when we scoff at the cartridge for not being big enough we lose the point. It's entirely acceptable to use a 22 mag on a coyote but the 327 would drop one with a lot more authority to a greater distance. I also think that for the caliber to be made in any rifle it would have to sell in sufficient numbers to be worthwhile. The handi rifle would be a proven platform that with minimal modifications can be converted to 327. rc
Old May 25, 2010, 02:23 AM   #11
Bamashooter

my NEF in .243 is a sweet shooter and i have killed several deer with it. a NEF in a pistol caliber just doesnt excite me. a .327 in a lever action, thats a diffrent story. i think i could get behind that. not in a single shot. just my opinion.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:31 AM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
I think this caliber would fit the same nich as a .22 hornet and not replace the 44 mag. I think when we scoff at the cartridge for not being big enough we lose the point. It's entirely acceptable to use a 22 mag on a coyote but the 327 would drop one with a lot more authority to a greater distance. I also think that for the caliber to be made in any rifle it would have to sell in sufficient numbers to be worthwhile. The handi rifle would be a proven platform that with minimal modifications can be converted to 327. rc
Excellent post.

I agree that it would be comparable to the uses of a 22 Hornet. The 327 would have the advantage of larger bullets and more bullet weight, meaning less of a reliance on expanding bullets that can mess-up pelts/meat if you're hunting small game. Some people hunt small game with a 30 carbine for that reason.

As a handloader, the 327 mag would give several advantages over the 22 Hornet. Easier to handload since it's a straight walled case instead of a thin bottleneck case. FAR easier to use cast lead bullets. It would also be easy for commercial loaders to load plinker loads in the 327 with plated bullets and such.

You are also correct in that the Handi is an ideal platform to introduce the idea. All that would be required is a barrel chambered in that caliber. No need to worry about feeding from a magazine or ejection from the action.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:04 PM   #13
rc

Thread Resurrection..................

I was looking at ruger 77/44 rifles and ruger 77/22 hornet rifles........... I'm thinking it would not be a big leap for ruger to chamber the 77/327 magnum and you would have a great small to medium game rifle more versatile and politically correct than a 30 carbine and just about as effective from a rifle.... rc
Old June 18, 2011, 12:14 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I was looking at ruger 77/44 rifles and ruger 77/22 hornet rifles........... I'm thinking it would not be a big leap for ruger to chamber the 77/327 magnum and you would have a great small to medium game rifle more versatile and politically correct than a 30 carbine and just about as effective from a rifle
That's not an idea that had crossed my mind, but I think I really like it.

As for the .30 Carbine being more effective... Bullet selection really sucks for the cartridge.
As "bad" as our choices are for the .327 Federal, there are still more decent .32 caliber hunting bullets available, than for the .30 Carbine (in my opinion). Based on my experience with .327, thus far; I really think I could push the .327 beyond the capabilities of the .30 Carbine, in a rifle (Sevens would have a better idea of how it stacks up).
Old June 22, 2011, 08:02 PM   #15
rc

Now a 77/357

Ruger is getting closer and closer every day with this new 357 model. The 327 would be right on the mark!
Old June 22, 2011, 09:34 PM   #16
bigghoss

I might be interested in a .327 rifle. I'd be more interested if ruger made a single six .327
Old June 22, 2011, 09:39 PM   #17
banditt007

what are the ballistics of the .327 federal? bullet weight/velocity and what's its general use?
Old June 22, 2011, 09:44 PM   #18
L_Killkenny

.327 leveraction = yes, .327 handi = BIG no.

LK
Old June 22, 2011, 10:18 PM   #19
TXGunNut

.327 revolver, possibly.
.327 levergun, interesting but not likely.
.327 NEF, not at all likely for me but an excellent choice.
.327 rocks! Check the numbers if you don't believe me. I like big slow chunks of lead but there's something about these new .32's and the old ones were pretty cool too!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 23, 2011, 12:26 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
what are the ballistics of the .327 federal? bullet weight/velocity and what's its general use?
From an older post:

Quote:
Out of my 5.5" Blackhawk, I had the following results:

.327 Mag. 85 gr Federal Hydrashoks ("reduced recoil"), Factory.
1,560 fps.

.327 Mag. 115 gr Gold Dots. Factory.
1,480 fps.

.327 Mag. 100 gr American Eagle SPs. Factory.
1,685 fps.
General use:
Small game, predators, light big game, target, and tons of fun.

Common bullet weights are 85, 100,and 115 grains; but it can be loaded with anything from 60 to 120(+) grains, at the reloading bench.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:26 AM   #21
zfk55

I'd be in for one or even two.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 23, 2011, 10:36 AM   #22
hornetguy

This combination brings to mind the old "rook" rifles, usually single shot, about .32 caliber. I believe they enjoyed huge popularity. I think it would be a fun gun... mild report, mild recoil, with enough power for nearly any varmint, and even deer at close range, using the right bullet. I just might have to have one.... or, I might have to buy a Contender carbine barrel in that caliber.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:50 PM   #23
TXGunNut

or, I might have to buy a Contender carbine barrel in that caliber. -Hornetguy

I like the way you think, maybe a Contender pistol barrel? 32 H&R and 327 Federal are pretty potent rounds but most folks don't take the caliber very seriously. Something in .32 is on my project list, good ideas on this thread.
Thanks, guys. Great thread, rc.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 28, 2011, 04:36 AM   #24
bamaranger

dumb question time

So how does the .327 compare to the old .32-20? Seems like a goodly number of old Colts and Win '92 were chambered in the .32-20. Are we re-inventing the wheel?

The older guns in .32-20 were popular as small game and camp guns, and I see a surprising number (mostly abused and wall hanger grade) of the Win levers so chambered here in my area. Guess deer were mostly gone at the time and they were small game pot rifles.

I like exotic combos, a .327 rifle........a .30 carbine bolt.........hmm.
Old June 28, 2011, 06:51 AM   #25
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
Are we re-inventing the wheel?
We're always re-inventing the wheel. The biggest example I can think of is the 308 vs .30-06 debates that come up from time to time. Or, the example of the WSM cartridges, which really don't do anything that hasn't been done before, just in new packaging.

A story is told of a bunch of gunwriters at a conference when one of the manufacturers unveiled a new rifle in a new caliber. One gunwriter asked, "What's it for?" and Col Cooper replied, "To sell rifles, of course!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy reali
Some of you are saying not the NEF. Why?
The NEF Handi-Rifle is a niche rifle (I own four of them). They require tinkering to shoot with good precision, they appear to be cheaply made, and they are ugly as sin. (Well, maybe not as ugly as a Savage, but you get my drift). Handi-rifles don't appeal to some shooters, who require fine craftsmanship and appealing lines. They also don't appeal to those who dislike single-shot rifles. I use mine as hunting guns, grandkid rifles, loaners and teaching devices. I like 'em, but I understand why everyone else doesn't.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com