The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1
m1fan

Cabellas 1858 Remington

I am thinking about buying one of these and was wondering what the quality is like? I know I have heard they are essentially a Pietta and have heard mixed feeling about this brand, so any help would be great! Thanks.

M1FAN
Old May 16, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
arcticap

The Pietta Remingtons are a very solid revolver providing a very high level of customer satisfaction percentage wise.
The Pietta Colts probably draw more complaints than their Remingtons do. Most folks will be quite pleased buying a Remington from Cabela's with the exception of the crooked latch post issue with some of their recent stainless models. But their standard base and target models are probably the best deal around.
And Cabela's also has a great return policy so there's very little risk of getting burned.

Last edited by arcticap; May 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
horseman308

I love mine. I got it for Christmas this year, along with an extra cylinder. It's really accurate with 27g 3Fg GOEX and a .454 with felt wad. I have not had a single issue with it, though I haven't shot it too much. It's a great pistol and you'll really like it.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Hardcase

I shoot mine a lot and I'm very happy with it. It's got the crooked latch post, but it's a cosmetic issue. I've also got a Colt and I'm equally pleased.

I bought mine at the store, so I was able to eyeball them before the purchase. I took the first guns I looked at, though. I didn't notice the crooked post until a couple of months later - it's not terribly obvious.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I got one of the 1858 Remington .36 Navies from Cabellas - they refer to it as their "New Army Police". It was top notch quality and I am very satisfied with it. The action was crisp and clean right out of the box. Fit and finish on the metal was fantastic - it looks like the parts "grew together". I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but hope to within the next couple of weeks. If I had any complaint . . . and mind you, this is VERY MINOR . . . it would be with the grips. They fight fine but overhang just a little at the bottom of the backstrap . . . . enough that I find the overhang "sharp" when I grip the pistol. As I said thugh, this is a very minor thing. I'm going to put a pair of faux ivory grips on the pistol so it's no big deal. If I was going to use the grips that came on it, I'd strip them and sand that area to fit (probably would take all of 2 minutes) and stain them dark walnut. I'd have no hesitation in buying another or the 44 cal. NMA - I was very pleased when I got it. As far as some complaints I've heard about over-torqued nipples - I had no problem taking them out with a standard nipple wrench. Everyone has their own preferences but I'd buy another Pietta anytime - excellent quality - excellent price. Good luck with your quest for a new revolver and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 17, 2010, 06:39 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

I have three Pietta 1858's, the Shooters model, target model and standard. Fine revolvers, loc-tite the rear sight screws on the target mode
Old May 17, 2010, 06:46 AM   #7
suzukibruce

sat here thinking and really cant complain about my '58 bison other than they have gotten much more expensive than mine was new... great gun accurate as hell and very well built in my opinion.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

A note of caution

It would be nice if you are close to a store, so you can carefully examine the revolvers they have for sale.

I think if you go back through some of the recent threads you will find some information on fit and finish issues that can be avoided by checking out the merchandise. Sight misallignment because of improper barrel installation and loading lever latch problems, again because of installation problems are two that I remember.

This post should not scare you off. You have a right to demand acceptable standards no matter who manufactured the item. I have no experience with Pietta Remingtons but my other Pietta products are quite good.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; May 17, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #9
ClemBert

I recently started a thread about quality problems I had with a recent Cabelas purchased Pietta 1858. You can read the thread here. Because I purchased the revolver from Cabelas I easily resolved any issues I had through their 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. The replacement I received is easily worth the $240 I have in my stainless 1858 shorty. I also purchased a Pietta 1860 shorty at the same time and so far I'm happy with it.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
TomADC

I just bought another one, now have two in .44 and two in .36 you love it.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:03 PM   #11
HisSoldier

I have an SS Pietta 1858, and it's nice. After reading often that the Uberti's are better I started looking into the purchase of one, but as I looked into it more and more I came to the conclusion that the Uberti's aren't that much better. Alas, I will never know for sure until I get one. Mine was made in 1993 and right away I bought an extra cylinder, well, the newer cylinders accommodate a wider bolt, and there is noticeably more slop in the timing. It works though.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:04 PM   #12
m1fan

Ordered

I just ordered a standard blue 1858 Remington from Cabelas and should receive it by this Friday....I can't wait to go shooting!

M1FAN
Old May 19, 2010, 06:41 PM   #13
azsixgun

m1fan, based on my experience, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I examined two Pietta standard model 1858's at Cabellas before selecting the one that I bought. Both looked great and I only selected the one that I did because it was new-in-box with the other being the display model. I too tried to decide between Pietta and Uberti. I selected the Pietta because the fit and finish were as good as the two Ubertis I was able to examine at a local shop and the price was about $130 less. I've been too busy to get to the range, but I'm hoping for a trip w/in the next month.

A relative bought a Pietta 1858 Remington from Cabelas about a year ago. Fit and finish on his revolver are about the same as mine. He hasn't shot his much, but it functions just fine.
Old May 22, 2010, 01:07 PM   #14
m1fan

Going Back

Well I received the revolver in the mail and it has the problem so many of you have described....the post that holds the loading lever was installed at an angle. So I am going to take it to the nearest Cabelas and exchange it for a new one.....you would think with all of these repeat problems that they have been experiencing that they would check these guns before sending them out or even when they receive them from the factory!!! But I guess that would be too much common sense for them!!!

M1FAN
Old May 22, 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
mykeal

Before you return it...

Does the 'crooked post' cause a problem with function - in other words, does it not work properly?

If not, then your problem with the gun is a cosmetic one. That may or may not be enough of a problem to warrant returning it. Some people would not mind the way the post looks if it worked properly.

That might be the reason Cabela's accepts the guns from Pietta.

I don't have one, so I can't say what I would do, nor am I offering any advice on what someone else should do. It's just something to consider.
Old May 22, 2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Delmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeal
Some people would not mind the way the post looks if it worked properly.
Perhaps not, but I would rather find that kind of flaw in the discount bin. Should be good for another $20 off, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure it will take off the resale value.