The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 25, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
IZinterrogator

M1A SOCOM II failing to feed

I took my SOCOM II out yesterday to try to figure out why it had been failing to feed at my last ACTS match. During the match, it had been ejecting fine, but the bolt wasn't picking up the next round and I had to manually cycle it to feed the next round. I cleaned and lubed it before I took it shooting yesterday because I thought it may be a lack of lubrication on the op rod guide and spring. The bolt had been properly greased before the match and was greased again before I shot it yesterday. Once again, the bolt was either not picking up the next round or it was only partially feeding the round before jamming. The gas cylinder had been checked and cleaned prior to this last outing and the magazines were new CMI mags straight out of the wrapper. Any ideas?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 25, 2010, 03:40 PM   #2
kraigwy

Couple Questions:

Are you using Reloads??

If so, did you run the brass through a case gage to make sure it sized propertly??
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 25, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
IZinterrogator

Nope, factory M80 FMJ.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 25, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Howard31

M1A

I had the same problem with a Garand.I had it rebarreled twice ran the gun for many years and what happened was that the op-rod spring wore out.What actually happens is the bolt comes back too fast,hits the back of the reciever and bounces over the round in the clip or in your case the mag.
Try a new spring .
Old April 25, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
chuckles

Make sure your gas system is clean and that the piston moves freely. (lock the bolt back and tilt the rifle forward and back. you can hear the piston slide.) Also check that the gas plug is tight. Be sure to use a gas cylinder wrench or well-padded crescent to hold the cylinder when you tighten the plug. Sometimes that problem can be a gas issue. Also make sure the gas valve turn screw is correctly positioned.

Last edited by chuckles; April 25, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old April 25, 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
IZinterrogator

chuckles,
That had all been checked prior to firing and was good to go.

Howard31,
I've had this M1A for just over two years and I've only shot it five or six times. Would this occur that rapidly without firing? Or does Springfield just use crummy springs?
Old April 26, 2010, 05:57 PM   #7
chuckles

You might wander over to M14 TFL forum for some answers. They usually have the most knowledgable people around about the US Gas-Operated service rifles (and civilian facsimiles thereof)

www.m14tfl.com
Old April 27, 2010, 10:08 AM   #8
nbkky71

Sounds like short recoil. Usually caused by crud build-up in the gas cylinder, crud build-up in the gas piston or leaking gas due to loose cylinder plug. Also check to make sure that the spindle valve is not loose.

There's also the possibility that there's an issue with the recoil spring or spring guide. Make sure the op-rod isn't binding or dragging anywhere. You're not using an extra-power recoil spring, are you?

Worst case, there's the chance parts are damaged or out-of-spec. If you can't resolve it, a warranty trip back to SA, Inc. may be in order.
Old April 27, 2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Howard31

M1A

I would have to stick with the weak spring theory.I would not rule out what NBKKY71 said about the rod binding.To check that disassemble the rifle from the stock,take off the op rod spring and then elevate the muzzle end.At about 45 degrees the bolt shound slide freely all the way back to the reciever. Then raise the reciever end and the bolt should slide forward all the way.Then put it in the stock and run the test again and check to see if the rod is binding on the wood.
You can rule out your ammo being out of spec.If it was you would have a problem chambering the first round and a cruddy chamber would cause extraction problems.
A dirty or cruddy gas system will affect accurcy but not function.
Old April 27, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
AK103K

Your not lubing the piston are you?

My SOCOM would do what your describing if it wasnt "dry".
Old April 27, 2010, 02:52 PM   #11
brian45auto

what kind of mags?
Old April 27, 2010, 09:26 PM   #12
IZinterrogator

AK103K,
I cleaned the piston with CLP, but then wiped it dry.

brian45auto,
The current mil-spec CMI 20 rounders.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Powderman

If this is a continual problem, take a close look at your magazines. Springs and innards clean? How about the feed lips?

Lock a magazine in, and give it a good shake. Does it lock in tight, and with minimal play?

Are you using the proper spring?

A final check would be to buy a box or two of premium ammunition--something like Gold Medal Match, 168 grain. If the gun cycles well with that, there might be a problem with the ammunition.

If all of this checks out, I'd probably opt for sending the rifle back. The gas port might not be large enough to put sufficient gas into the piston chamber to cycle the action.

Tags
m1a , socom ii