The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1
ZeSpectre

Close Quarters and the left handed

Recently I was perusing some of the you tube videos on close quarters drills and began to see some new (or new to me) techniques. While I've trained a bit in the "high compressed ready" I have to admit that the "SUL ready position" and the close to the body "indexed on the hip" style are new to me.

I have to say that as a person who trains with either hand but who is primarily a "southpaw" some of these techniques appear to have serious flaws when the gun is in the left hand as it looks like either the body or the right hand will wind up in the way of the ejection port.

Has anyone seen these techniques modified for use with the left hand/on the left side?

Last edited by ZeSpectre; March 16, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2
grumpycoconut

That's the problem with being in your right mind. You just aren't built with most guns in mind. You just have to play around with all of the techniques you run across until you find the ones that work for you. Fortunately you don't lose points for not being in the "proper" position.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old March 16, 2010, 02:47 PM   #3
threadbare

I am a southpaw and have run several different drills similar to what you describe and have never had a problem. Just get used to driving your weapon and getting hot brass in your face once in a while.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:29 PM   #4
evan1293

SUL is used when moving with the gun out. Its more of a ready position than having the gun in your holster, but its not what you would use when the threat is imminent. If your looking for a postion to shoot from that still retains your weapons, SUL is not what you would want to use. I've trained shooting from retention postions that are commonly taught with both the right and left hands...I've never had a problem with malfunctions caused by casings or clothing getting caught in the ejection port. Even with the CAR high position, shooting left handed....I've never had any issues with my guns jamming (and I've probably fired 10s upon 10s of thousands for rounds from these positions.)
Old March 16, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Ditto - LH here and not had retention position problems.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:51 PM   #6
CWPinSC

Good techniques. If you have a couple of inches between you and the ejection port, it's gonna eject properly.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:37 PM   #7
threadbare

Not only is sul an effective "ready position" but is good for semi-concealment as well. With a slight repositioning of the support hand over the weapon or a cap etc. Reacting to an attack from the rear/obliques/sides from sul is also an option for close quarters.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:20 PM   #8
BobbyT

I'm a lefty who prefers to go righty for pistols--no idea why, as I'm very left handed for long guns.

Left eye dominance + right handed pistol means bouncing brass off my forehead is a regular occurrence. Doesn't bother me a bit in casual, patient shooting, so I can't imagine noticing it in a real life scenario.

Unless you have the ejection port pressed up against you, it's going to eject. I suppose catching some brass in the eye would be distracting, but short of something like that it just seems like a non-issue.