The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 3, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Satanic Toaster

Finnish Mosin Nagant Model 28

I thought I would share my latest acquisition with you all. I was at a gun show this weekend and picked up this Model 28 Finn. It had a little bit of surface rust that so far has cleaned up pretty nicely. The bolt still needs some polishing but I wanted to put up a couple of pictures of it. Other than the surface rust there were a couple of minor problems with it, one was a broken buttstock that is in the process of getting repaired right now and the other was it was extremely dirty.

Here are the pics:

After stripping it down I cleaned the bore and found that it was a little pitted but still had strong rifling so it will work as a fun shooter at this point.
The stock is a project for another day but I will hopefully be getting to the range this weekend to see how she shoots!

Sorry for the long-ish post but I am extremely excited about this old rifle. And Sorry about the low quality photos, old camera needs to get replaced and I need to get better with it. Let's hear what you think of it.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:06 PM   #2
ksstargazer

Very nice. I have two Finnish M28's and both are reasonable shooters (around 2 MOA). I like the well used looks of most M28's. These rifles went through hell at the beginning of WW2. Their history in the Civil Guard is astounding.
Nice find.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:45 AM   #3
simonkenton

Beautiful rifle, with a great history!

Simo Haya used the M28 to kill 540 Russkies, iron sights at 400 yards.
Old February 4, 2010, 05:43 PM   #4
p99guy

Thats a nice looking rifle, with lots of charecter.
Old February 4, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
TomADC

Nice rifle I'm shopping for another, one thing I found was making sure the part in the reciever where the bolt lugs lock up on really need cleaning I found mine had cosmoline built up there and while the bolt closed okay without a round in it it got very stiff when I tried to chamber a round, found out the chamber wasn't as clean as it should have been.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Satanic Toaster

Well if weather permits I am going to go out to the range and see how it shoots but I have gotten everything clean to my satisfaction; at least enough to go shoot and then clean all over again.

I think for $100 I did pretty well, I had tried to talk the guy down since it was a bit busted up but he wouldn't budge. oh well, in the end I decided I needed it for a project.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:56 PM   #7
MagnumWill

Quote:
Simo Haya used the M28 to kill 540 Russkies, iron sights at 400 yards.
Within the span of 3 MONTHS

Using the M28 and the Suomi SMG, that's 6 people a DAY!