The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 1, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1
mr-geep

Blue Dot Powder and Low light firing

I just had a friend give me about 500 rounds of 9mm hollow-point ammunition. He said they were loaded hot with Blue Dot powder (I dont remember exactly how much now and I'm at work so I can't look at the boxes),
Anyway, he said he was at a indoor range in low light and everytime he fired, the flash from his Beretta was so bad, he completly lost his night vision and his accusition of the target. This is an issue that had never really occured to me until he brought it up. Someone breaks into your house, you meet them in the dark, you fire....lights out.
Has anyone out there experienced this, and is there a better powder/load combo to use for HD at night when your most likely to need it?

BTW, he is a very experienced handloader and I trust him with my life otherwise I don't accept other peoples handloads unless I'm gonna pull the bullets.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:31 AM   #2
[email protected]

For legal reasons, you shouldn't use handloads for HD, as some lawyer could argue you're cooking up the "perfect killing machine" or some such. That being said, a faster powder might be in order. I'll take those rounds for my 9mm carbine though
Old February 2, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Chinny33

Legal reasons....awww

That is true,

DO NOT USE HAND LOADS for self defense.

Massad Ayoob has written MANY MANY articles about why NOT to use handloads/reloads for self defense, in legal terms. Look it up online somewhere...they are extremely convincing articles on why not to use such ammo.

Yes, lawyers sit around ALL day thinking of ways to convince 12 people in a jury that the ammo said person used was the ultimate KILLER of bullets EVER in existence and might as well have used poison darts, because they are on equal playing field.

sad truth
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 2, 2010, 02:03 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I use Unique or Bullseye, but I haven't tried shooting them at night. I tried American Select (in .38 Special) and I loved it except for the blinding white flash. I didn't expect that from such a fast powder.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:11 PM   #5
markj

When we used to hunt coons at night I would aim with one eye closed so after the shot I could still see where he fell.