The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 19, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Alpha Centauri

Sloppy Trigger on Marlin 336

Hi All.

This has never happened to me in my 30+ years of shooting.

My 8 month Marlin 336C .30-30 LA rifle has developed a case of sloppy trigger. At least I think (yes, I don't recall it doing this before) it has.

Last time I shot it was 3 months ago, before today that is. The trigger moves back and forth loosely about an 8th of an inch or so. I just don't remember it doing this. Mind you, I have a few guns so it's not like I inspect it daily. (I do store them well though).

Shot it today. Seems fine. But what happened? Did a dampening spring come loose. I hesitate to shoot it again until I get a smitty to look at it.

I don't mess with trigger systems, chambers, or barrels for that matter.

Anyone else with a Marlin 336 see this? Thoughts on this?
Old December 19, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Edward429451

No, that's the standard Marlin trigger flop. Wild West Guns in Anchorage AK has a happy trigger replacement for it that does away with the flop for ~ 100 dollars. The good thing is it also is like a match trigger also, very crisp.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
CowTowner

Edward429451 is absolutely right. Had the same issue on my 1895FG and the Wild West trigger fixed it. And it was a big improvement.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy