The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
yggorf

1911 ramped barrel?

In gearing up for my 1911 project I need to ask some questions:

1. Are ramped barrels inherently better than standard barrels? It seems like they would be.

2. Can all standard frames be converted to accept a ramp\ed barrel, or must the frame be designed for a ramped barrel?

3. Does a bull barrel have advantages/disadvantages?

4. Why would someone want a reverse-plug style spring plug? Aren't these harder to assemble/disassemble?

Last edited by yggorf; December 17, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old December 17, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
drail

Please do a search, we just went over this.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
yggorf

Anyone have a useful reply?

Replies such as "do a search" are useless because the results all depend on the search terms used. For example, I did search for "1911 barrel" (seemingly an appropriate phrase for my initial query). None of the search results in the first or second pages of results seemed to relate at all to my questions.

Now, if you have a specific alternate thread to point me too, that would be considered a useful reply.

P.S. The statement "We just went over this" is in fact false. "I" didn't just go over it, and I am part of "we". If you mean "some others of use just went over this", well, that is nice, but doesn't answer the question.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Jim Watson

1. Are ramped barrels inherently better than standard barrels? It seems like they would be.

Why does it seem that way to you? In actuality, an integral ramp barrel gives a steeper feed angle than a real 1911 frame-barrel ramp in the holy name of "additional case head support" (which the appropriate calibers have gotten along without for decades) and calls for better fitting and a bit of luck. I have had a couple of integral ramps recontoured closer to standard with improvement in feeding. I had another converted back to standard which would have been cost prohibitive if I had had to pay full price for it, but a machinist helped me out by making an insert and the gunsmith thought it an interesting study project.

2. Can all standard frames be converted to accept a ramp\ed barrel, or must the frame be designed for a ramped barrel?

A standard frame can be converted, all it takes is a milling machine and a good deal of knowhow and patience. Or you can buy one pre-cut and get by with the knowhow and patience to do the final fitting. Be advised that there are two patterns of ramp cuts and they are not interchangeable.

3. Does a bull barrel have advantages/disadvantages?

If you are very very sensitive to the quality of recoil and gun movement, the heavier barrel will feel a little softer. Made no real difference to me.

4. Why would someone want a reverse-plug style spring plug? Aren't these harder to assemble/disassemble?

The main advantage of the reverse plug is that it lets you capture the recoil spring on a one piece guide rod and avoid the true abomination that is a two-piece which routinely shoots loose. At least mine did before I had it converted and permanently Loctited. And it is a must with a bull barrel and no bushing to hold in a standard plug.
Old December 18, 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
yggorf

Thanks. That helps me decide.
Old December 18, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
stiles

What caliber is your project? In 45acp a standard frame angle with a properly throated barrel with a1/32" gap between the frame and barrel will feed just about anything. With the larger diameter 45 ACP the lowest point of the case presented by the mag can be lower than the ramp with the barrel in the unlocked position. This is really an issue when you use semi-wadcutters cause most other bullets ogive will ride up the ramp before the bottom case diameter can get caught by the bottom face of the ramp. This isn't an issue at all in 40/38/9mm.

Now if it's a 9/38/40 I'd use a ramped barrel for sure, clark/para type ramp. The smaller diameter cases just tend to work better with ramped barrels.