The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 2009, 11:13 PM   #1
SnoProG

Maadi Cadet Mystery

My uncle gave me a 9mm Egyptian Maadi Cadet, very similar to the Helwan. I shot if very little back when he gave it to me in the early 90's. Now, I am trying to sell it to move on to other things and I have an issue:

After the last round is fired, the slide stop does not seem to have enough upward tension to catch the slide and hold it open, properly. The slide ends up just forward of the slide catch.

Sometimes, the slide catch works, most times it does not.

Another issue:

If I pull back on the slide and manually push the slide catch up, then push the slide catch down to rack a new round, the slide just sits there. A slight tap to the back of the slide gets it going and all is good. The gunsmith at my local shop says it's a weak magazine spring. I think there's more to it.

Question:

Do I have more than one problem. The gun has been cleaned, oiled and did not seem to matter.

Thanks for any help
Old December 11, 2009, 12:48 AM   #2
triggerman770

maadi

your gunsmith is correct. the mag follower pushes the lock up to lock the slide.
the other problem about slide not moving can be solved by slingshotting your slide. that is pulling slide all the way back and releasing it. that allows the mechanism to work as designed.
www.georgiacarry.org