The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 9, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

1911 mags

Whats the preferences for 1911 mags. Have heard that Kimber, Wilson, and Colt are no-brainers for fit and function. Probably Mec Gar too. Any other suggestions? Where have you found the best deals for them?
Old December 9, 2009, 07:14 PM   #2
ming

Add Tripp mags to the list. Expensive but very nice.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:15 PM   #3
riggins_83

After trying quite a few I've stuck with Wilson Mags. The curved follower has really cleaned up the feed on my 1911s (along with the fact it won't tilt and lock). I use them in my Smith 1911s and Kimbers, no issues at all.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
madmag

I like Mec-Gar.

But my main criteria is not using any GI dimensioned 7 round mag that has been made to hold 8 rounds. Lots of them are out there. They make a change in the spring shape at one end and change the height of the follower leg.

What I like are either 7 round mags or true 8 round mags that have extended base to take care of the extra round. I also like the follower to have a skirt so it cannot tip forward.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:51 PM   #5
rbernie

The most reliable magazines for all my 1911s have been the Colt/Checkmate 'hybrid' 7rd stainless magazines, with the tapered feed lips and proper dimpled follower. They are more reliable in my experience than the Wilsons, CMCs, or other 'boutique' magazines.

The only caveat is that my aluminum framed 1911s that don't have ramped barrels get bullnose followers in their magazines, just to help protect the feedramp area from excessive damage.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
sholling

In steel framed pistols (only) I use Chip McCormick. I'm not fond of Wilson magazines but it's all that I've found so far that are safe in an aluminum frame.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Desertguns

Colt series 80 Combat/Target Satin Stainless (my first),
Springfield "Fully Loaded", and
Kimber custom shop Raptor II w/upgrades:

Since '96 with my Colt, I've had a half dozen Wilson 8 rounders. Never a problem. At all. With my Springer, no problem. Bought a couple Mec Gars, no problems either. Add my Kimber a few years back, still no problems. Tried some cheap SWC through the Kimber, and the gun hiccupped a couple times (FTF) in about 200 rounds. (Feed ramp issue?) Switched ammo (back to standard 230 gr ball or 185/200gr hollow pt) and guess what? No problems. If you twisted my arm, I'd have to say I've put a total of 4000 rds through my 1911s over the years, and I still use those 6 original Wilsons. (Sold the Mec-Gars with the Colt a few yrs back.) No problems at all as long as I was using high-quality factory ammo. Bought a few ten-round Wilsons, and just a few months ago, a pair of their ETMs. No problems yet, but have only fired about 200 rds from them. So far, so good. I'd recommend Wilson or Mec Gar for 8 rounds, Chip for 7. Either way, Happy Shooting!
Old December 10, 2009, 05:32 PM   #8
RickB

If the gun is in spec, it will work with mags that are in spec (G.I.). If the gun is out of spec, or the mags are out of spec, it's usually the case that a happy combination of gun and mag can be found. I'm always leery of mags that toss the controlled-round feed of the 1911 in favor of something "better" (different). I have had good performance from my "timed release" McCormick mags, but am now firmly aboard the "hybrid" feedlip and "bullnose" follower bandwagon of Check-Mate Industries. Check-Mate has been a major player in the 1911 mag business for years, making "factory" mags for Colt, Kimber, Nighthawk Custom, and probably others. They make tubes and other components for other magazine makers, as well. Their hybrid feedlip, which combines elements of both the original tapered, and newer timed-release designs, combined with the stable, metal bullnose follower (skirts front and rear, to ensure it won't tilt in the tube), is the best mag of its kind. Their flush-fit 8-rounder is the only "8 into 7" mag that I use anymore and I've found their extended-tube 8-rounder to be better designed, and at least as well built as the Tripp or ETM.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:57 AM   #9
flcaptainbill

I bought one of the KimPro mags for my Rock Island Officer. Sometimes the slide will lock after the last round and sometimes it will not.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:13 PM   #10
grumpa72

I couldn't be happier with my Checkmate mags. I bought seven of them and they are my range mags, carry mags and anything-else mags. I called Checkmate, told them I had my Colt 1911s and what I wanted. The salesman was most helpful and I will buy from them again.