The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 11, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
ccw08

1/4" Steel for plates?

I have been thinking of building a hang down plate setup where the plates will stick up until you hit the " reset target " as well as making a couple silhouette idpa type targets out of steel for my private range.

I posted an ad online looking for steel to save myself a little money, I got a reply from a guy that has some 1/4 and 3/8" steel plates, 22" X 39" plates, 8 of them for an unbeatable price ( 85 bucks ). My question is, is that strong enough to take hits from a 22lr or 9mm?

I shoot alot of 22lr and quite a bit of 9mm, I didnt know if it was strong enough or not, I have a guy that can cut it for me so no problems there.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2
gus3836

thickness

The .25 will be okay for 22 and the 3/8 will be okay for 9mm. The steel is probably mild steel and will dish sooner or later then the ricochets will start. Just do not use +p ammo and you will have alot of fun. I have made my own plate racks and other targets they will wear out over time. Gus
Old November 11, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
ccw08

I have access to some old railroad tie plates, some of the smaller 14 inch or so rectangles and some of the big 14" X 36 steel railroad plates as well. They came through our town, ripped all the railroad stuff out and conveniently enough they DUMPED it along the old track line, we hunt out that way and I see that steel pile every year, just didnt know if it would hold up if I shot that.
Old November 13, 2009, 01:18 PM   #4
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
if you can

get some t2 armor plate steel farley common.
cut and weld easy and lasts a whole lot longer
ed
Old November 13, 2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Pahoo

While you are looking around for plates, look at "Slip Blind" plates that pipefitters use between flanges. They are already cut round with a handles. Come in every size and thickness you could want. I have no current cost but that is what I used when I worked in the petrochemical industry. Sometimes you will find these in junk yards that have access to a plant that has lots of piping systems.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old November 24, 2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Saguaro Firearms

I think what your looking for is called ar500 steel. its the most common hardened steel used for targets... lots of websites sell it but its very expensive, i fount a seller on ebay that sells precut hangers made from it at reasonable prices, and ships reasonably to. the seller name is mcosman
Old November 24, 2009, 08:26 PM   #7
JerseyDrez

Both the 1/4 and 3/8 will handle .22 fine, and even 9mm.

My friends family owns an ironworking business and we go there and take the scrap steel to make targets. We usually use 1/4 and it handles .22 and about 9mm no prob. A few more range days and we chuck it, as it starts warping and such with a good amount of rounds at them.

Im actually looking for some sort of armor plated, or 1/2 in steel as my 7.62x39 goes through that 1/4 like butter.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "