The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
nolmsted

Slug shotgun for 1st gun -which one?

A friend of mine is looking to buy a slug shotgun for his son's first deer gun. What is a good one to start with?
Old November 2, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
oneounceload

How old is the kid? Does he need a youth model?
Old November 2, 2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...70_express.asp

Top it with a 2.5x or 4x scope and you are good to go.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 3, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4

H&R Ultra Slugger in 20 gauge. The gun is a single shot, heavy barrel, and scope ready. Good size for youth hunters and just a tack driver when used with sabot slugs. My son shot his second deer with one at the age of 15. He made a great off hand shot at 95 yards.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 3, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
L_Killkenny

Sabot slugs suck. All I see is dollar signs when sighting in and foster slugs have always been good to me out to 100 yards. I'll never own a rifled slug gun. Depending on his age/size I'd recommend a full size gun and even if you have to buy an extra youth stock. Kids grow fast. I'd go with an 870 (parts and stocks are readily available). I also saw a Charles Daily Combo for $300 on sale on a cabelas ad the other day. IIRC, the Charles Dailys are just like the 870's.

For scopes go with a red dot, 2x or a 1.5-4 variable. Maybe even a 2-7x. But straight 4X is too much for tight woods hunting. Low power scopes rule for quick shooting.

LK
Old November 3, 2009, 12:40 PM   #6
davlandrum

Quote:
Sabot slugs suck. All I see is dollar signs
Not clear on this - do sabots suck, or you just don't like the cost?

Is this going to do double duty as a shotgun as well? Couple of sets out there that come with both a rifled slug barrel and a shotgun barrel.

I would go 20 ga. Even I hate shooting 12 ga slugs from a pump!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 3, 2009, 01:42 PM   #7

The cost sucks....I'll admit that. The slugs are great. I shoot Winchester Partition Golds and have taken four deer from 130 yards to 155 yards. Many more under 75 yards. All were either DRT or not far away.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 3, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8
FrontSight

How old is he? I get insane accuracy from Savage Slug Warrior and Hastings Laser Accurage Slugs...