The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 13, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
essohbe

Good M44s?

Looking around now, wondered if anyone knows where I can find a decent deal on an M44 carbine....

I've looked aorund but they're all in the $200 range and Century Arms won't let me log in, but I know they have a bunch.

Thanks for any info.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:46 PM   #2
raftman

This place has them for $79 a piece. It's where I got mine, I was actually able to pick mine up in person since I live pretty close (and to take my pick of the the several that the place had in stock at the time)... according to their policies, they will ship to an FFL as well. The drawback is, it didn't come with the accessories that these rifles typically come with like the gauge tool or ammo pouch, but those can all be bought for basically pennies anywhere. I also bought a Tokarev from this place, so the business seems to be pretty "on the level."

http://www.littlebeargunshop.com/pro...10B892CE6CE5BE

Here's a pic of mine, it needed a nice cleaning but has a just about perfect bore:

The one thing, I'd make sure of, is ask if you can get one hand-picked or something, because the condition of the M44's they had did seem to vary quite a bit from one to the next.
Old October 14, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
essohbe

Awesome, thanks for the link.
Old October 14, 2009, 04:45 PM   #4
raftman

No problem. A few years ago, $79 would've been a pretty average price for an M44, but these days, it's a steal.
Old October 15, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5
GregM

I got mine from Rguns about 9 months ago. It appeared unfired from a refurbishment. Perfect bore aside from being counterbored which escapes me as to why it was done. All numbers match, bolt face without any trace of being fired. I don't know if he still has any or not now, but I was very pleased with it.

GregM
Old October 19, 2009, 12:50 AM   #6
Ignition Override

A local gun show might have a variety.
At our Memphis show in late September, there were at least three, and each was listed at $150.
But...a buddy's typical Russian had by far the brightest bore/rifling I've ever seen in a milsurp, (other than an unused 'cherry' LE #4/2). It looked like chrome or stainless steel.

The other two 44s were Romanian and Hungarian on the opposite table. These are much less common.
Same price, good metal & wood with bright bores/rifling, and non-matching bolts. These two sold Saturday by about 1300.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
essohbe

Yea, where I am we get maybe 1 gunshow a year...

Century's got some iffy ones, and some real nice ones, lol.

Is the greater price worth it to get a laminated stock? I've seen some gorgeous ones...

I dunno.
Old October 22, 2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Ignition Override

As I can't speak for anybody else, on hindsight, my decision would now be to look for the very best, brightest bore/rifling and not be lured by the laminated wood's "Siren Song".

The bore/rifling in my buddy's 44 reminded me of my chrome-lined SKS, but for some reason was still there after 2:00 PM.

Last edited by Ignition Override; October 25, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old October 22, 2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Hardcase

At the show that I went to in early October, there was a local company with a stack of M44s in the plastic, still covered in cosmo for $40 each. About all you could make out on them was the date on the receiver.

I figured that for 40 clams, I couldn't go wrong with one, so I bought it. It's a typical Soviet 1946 carbine in a been there and back wartime stock with some surface rust, but a beautiful, mirror bright bore.

I cleaned the rust off of it and it looks just fine. I don't even mind the beater of a stock - no cracks, just been smacked around and it reeks of experience (well, it also reeks of cosmoline, but I'm still working on that.)

The pretty M44s were going for ~$150 and they sold out by the end of the first day. The ugly ones were there until the end - he didn't sell nearly as many as I thought that he would. I should have bought a few more.
Old October 22, 2009, 05:07 PM   #10
essohbe

Bore and action are the most important to me, but if I can luck out and find a laminated one on top of that, I suppose I might pay the price.

But then again, who wouldn't? Lol.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:12 PM   #11
zombieslayer

The prices have really shot up, all the 44's I've been seeing for sale have been rough. Happy huntin
Old October 25, 2009, 03:03 AM   #12
Ignition Override

Hardcase:
If I saw some which have the bore condition you described, two or more at that price would be a steal.
They could be at the next gun show? Maybe E-Bay sells stocks at a decent price.

Let's be thankful that so many young guys are into ARs etc and conventional sporting rifles.

Last edited by Ignition Override; October 27, 2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:33 PM   #13
raftman

A saw a couple of them at Big 5 a few days ago, they looked pretty good. They used to sell them for $80 though, now $180.
Old October 25, 2009, 01:09 PM   #14
zombieslayer

Saw one in Vero Beach for 279!!
Old October 25, 2009, 08:21 PM   #15
essohbe

Tags
m44