The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Doyle

Anybody know a good place to sell a M1905 Bayonete?

I've got an original M1905 (full length) from 1943 that I'd like to sell. I've seen them going on Evilbay for quite nice sums, but I really don't like the idea of using them. Is there a military collectors site that has a good buy/sell area?
Old September 18, 2009, 07:38 AM   #2
CowTowner

You could try http://www.gunbroker.com or http://www.gunsamerica.com
Both are firearms auction sites.
There is also this forum here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Just scroll down and ask your price.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 18, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Doyle

Yes, I'm familiar with (and have used) the gun sites. I was hoping for something specific to military collectibles to get a broader audience.
Old September 19, 2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Buzzcook

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/

I'd go with EBay, you'll probably get a better price.
BTW a scabbard and a frog really make the value go up.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:37 AM   #5
srt 10 jimbo

Your in Florida, try Floridaguntrader.com
Old September 19, 2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Tom2

I think you hinted at where the most money is at, despite your objections. If you never heard of a site that sells stuff like that specifically, neither have I and probably most people don't know it. Therefore you get low exposure to the market, and have to post a high starting price and wait to see if anyone spots it. Bayonets sell on ebay for quite tidy sums in my experience. Due to large exposure of the product. This is assuming your description is good and the photos are excellent. No one bids blurry stuff too high unless they are risk takers. Bad pictures can hide an excellent item and keep the price down. Consider that wherever you post it. Ebay is a PITA but it does have it's advantages too. Yea, post it on Floridaguntrader, and guys with lots of money in 49 other states will miss it.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Chris_B

Quote:
I've got an original M1905 (full length) from 1943 that I'd like to sell. I've seen them going on Evilbay for quite nice sums, but I really don't like the idea of using them. Is there a military collectors site that has a good buy/sell area?
Hi Doyle. I know a little about these bayonets

Firstly, you do not have an 'M1905'. There is no such thing as an "M1905". That nomenclature didn't exist at the time. It was a "Model of 1905" Many collectors refer to that bayonet of yours as an M1942 becasue it's a second version, started in 1942

US militaria forum is a good site; I enjoy it and the people there are good folks.

There should be no "scabbard and frog" such as say were used for K98s, by the way. The scabbard for your bayonet is a one piece fiberboard composite with an attached steel throat and hanger. A Detroit Gasket made scabbard would be an interesting match for your M1942 16" bayonet but they are not as common as the other makers due to limited production and a reputation for less durability.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:57 AM   #8
simonkenton

There is a "Trader" forum over at gunboards.com

It is not an auction, you list your price and it is take it or leave it.
If it doesn't sell after a few days, you can lower the price.
They are a bunch of good guys and they are very serious milsurp and militaria collectors.

There is a lot of action on the gunboards trader forum.
Old September 19, 2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Buzzcook

My bad about the amphibian.