The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 2, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
uastudent12

Hog Hunting with M1A Scout/Aimpoint?

Recently purchased an M1A scout, and hope to go hog hunting with it soon. I've considered getting an Aimpoint Comp3 to mount on the forward rail, and was wondering if anyone had experience with this setup? Is lack of magnification an issue in the 200 yds range?

I've never used an aimpoint so I'd be interested to hear from those who had used it hunting and the pros/cons. Thanks.
Old September 2, 2009, 02:19 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For me I would need a set of binos to see the hog in the first place and a 9+ power scope to hit it... But is poor eyes... that is a .308? If so, will you be head/neck shooting only?
Brent
Old September 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #3
ADB

Yes, the M1As are all .308.
Old September 2, 2009, 04:48 PM   #4
zoomie

I have a CompC3 on one rifle. I think making kill shots in the vitals at 200 would be possible. I do not think you could place shots with "behind the ear" precision. Get the 2MOA instead of the 4MOA model, at least.
Old September 2, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Your vital zone that lacks this shield is very small... This is a full size center fire round. I will ask what caliber later.
Penetrating this is very difficult.
If you want to see some links to the hog vitals, lemme know I will look them up.
Brent
Old September 2, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
comn-cents

Yes, the M1As are all .308. except the one's in 243 & 7mm08
Old September 2, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
ADB

You're right, I was thinking all the factory M1As. Small shop, gunsmith, or custom jobs excepted.
Old September 2, 2009, 05:34 PM   #8
comn-cents

Factory made 243 & 7mm08
Old September 2, 2009, 06:32 PM   #9
emcon5

Quote:
Factory made 243 & 7mm08
You mean the ones Springfield Armory used to make, but quit because nobody bought them?

Or are you referring to something currently available. If so, how about you post some useful information instead of being cryptic with your vast obscure M1A knowledge.
Old September 2, 2009, 06:40 PM   #10
comn-cents

I think Factory means from Springfield. It was posted that all
m1a's are.308. I was just mentioning that is not a true statment. I really don't care if they only sold one of them, they still made them. Do you have a point?
Old September 2, 2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Back on topic here the question was is the lack of magnification going to be a factor at 200 yards. Not what caliber he was shooting and all 3 calibers will do the job.

My 2 pesos is yes it would be an issue for anybody without 20-20 vision and a lot of rounds at 200 yards with that gun. Doable, yes but I would want to move up about a hundred yards to make sure of a killing shot. 60 yards or less is a more likely shot so it shouldn't become a factor.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 2, 2009, 09:19 PM   #12
amprecon

I looked hard at that setup after I already had my rifles. I still feel the setup you have or are looking at would be the ultimate. I love the Aimpoint red dot sights and a hunting experience motivated me to seek them out. I have a 2X 1moa CompC3 on my M1 Garand and a CompC3 2moa on my SLR-95. But I have given much thought to getting a M1A Scout and putting an Aimpoint on it too.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:01 PM   #13
LoneStarWings

Personally I'd go with a pistol scope like the 2-7x with red dot from burris for 200 yard shots. 7x magnification will really help on a shot at that distance.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:10 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A pistol scope would have to be mounted "scout" style due to the extended eye relief...
If there is a 2-12, I would consider it good as close in shots are possible. Folks who are able to bag a hog on a stalk style gun hunt are severely outnumbered by those who never see a pig. This said, chances are better at a long distance shot than pounding the swamps in hopes of shooting one at 25-50 paces.

bswiv may be of help as will a few others on here. I personally see a few in and around crop fields but have seen only a hand full of shooters while out without the dogs rustling them up. Their nose is a ton better than a deer and their hearing ain't far behind their nose in ability to bust you hard.
Brent
Old September 3, 2009, 05:30 AM   #15
bswiv

We've used various Red Dot sights for about 15 years. Have 6 of them on everything from a single shot .243 to a O/U 45/70 and a couple of rifled 20 ga.

Just last week I shifted a more traditional Red Dot set up on my old .35 Rem to the same basic Scout set up you are contemplating. I don't have a picture ready but what I used is the H-1 Micro

http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aim...oint_micro_h-1

set just in front of the reciever. Points VERY naturally.

For close in hunting such as we do in our thick woods and swamps here in NE FL they are just the ticket. As we never set up on large fields ( In fact in the last 10 years or so we've taken only a couple of animals over 40 yards, the vast majority under 25. ) I can't give a good opinion of how they would perform at 200 yards. You would for sure have some issues getting the fine tuning of sighting in done as the 4 min dot would cover 8 inches at 200 yards.

Of course my responce to seing a hog at 200 yards would be to get down wind and go to him. But then we're Bar-B-Q hunting and not doing the hard work of controling hogs doing damage to crops. In that situation you may want, and need, to do a lot of long range shooting. If that's the case then something with magnification might be better............