The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2009, 06:46 PM   #1
pinetree

What Spare Parts - Beretta A390

I have an A390 from the early 90's. A great gun. It has served me well from field to range. I have a dove trip to AL and a goose, duck and upland trip in Canada coming up. I have never replaced anything. A buddies Benelli blow an ejector in the Dove field and I got paranoid. I am ordering recoil and mag tube springs. I'm thinking about adding and ejector and extractor along with their springs. Should I? Anything else? I just did a fairly full disassembly. Mag tube spring has corrosion. I fear the recoil spring is a mess - still trying to get that piece taken apart. Thanks for your insight.

We'll have spare guns, but this is my go to gun.

tjg
Old August 25, 2009, 07:15 AM   #2
RoscoeC

An A390 is the one I prefer over the other 10 shotguns I own. The thing is about as dependable as an anvil.

In my opinion, you have it covered with the springs. I bought mine used, and the recoil spring was rusty and made a screeching sound every time the gun cycled. It was functioning 100%, but that sound just made my teeth curl up. I broke it down, polished the tube (9mm bore brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool and spun with a battery drill), and put in a new spring. I now make it a practice to push the follower down the tube and spray a spritz of Remoil down the tube to prevent future corrosion.

I had a bit of difficulty with getting the tube cap off. What I finally had success with is clamping the flats tightly in a large vise and turning the action. Use care not to damage the threads. Thread damage is almost assured if you are using an adjustable (Crescent) wrench.
NRA Life Member
Old August 25, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Harvard

390 Parts

The only extra parts I keep in my shooting bag is an extra magazine spring and an extra (clean) gas piston. I have not had any other problems with the gun except an occaisional operator error.

Harvard
Old August 25, 2009, 05:04 PM   #4
pinetree

Thanks for the input. I ordered the springs and will tackle the recoil tube this weekend. Shotgun World has a guide on doing this - over at 450-500, place recoil tube end in over, 30-60 seconds, try, if doesn't break-free, try again. My mag spring is corroded and the mag cap spring is severely corroded. According to the afore mention guide, they say toss it. That site has been down over a day (minutes after I posed this question). This gun has gone swimming more then once in nasty duck tanks and the flood waters of the Black River.

Thanks again,
Tim
Old August 25, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
guy sajer

Might consider a spare operating/cocking handle .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .