The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 3, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
ssilicon

M1A ammo choice

I have heard/read that you should only feed M1As FMJ. Well, my range doesn't allow FMJ (I know dumb rule that a lot of us want to change).

Anyway, so I have been using Remmington 150 grain core-lokt .308. Seems to work. Sould I be concerned as some say "hunting ammo" a no no in an M1A?

Also, got some remanufactured ammo as a gift. Made by a company called "Ultramax". They are .308 165 grain soft points. And the soft points are good sized. The brass is stamped with thee things:

L C 7 4 and a symbol of a plus with a circle around it (I think it is).

I know the the symbol if it is a plus with a circle around it (hard to tell because it is quite small) is a NATO logo. And from what I have read L C would like mean Lake City manufactured brass (presumably from 1974?).

Anyway, I have read somewhere I thought that Ultramax might not be safe to use in my M1A or that reloads/remanfuactured in general can be a hazzard? My M1A is a SA loaded model, which SA says can use either .308 or 7.62 ammo. My headspace measurement the gun came with is in the range that an article on the Fullton Armory site says should be safe with either 7.62 NATO or .308.

Anyway, what do you guys have to add or advice for me?
Old August 3, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
B. Lahey

It's the 180gr+ and "light magnum" ammo that's no good for M14ish rifles.

I wouldn't worry about shooting that 150gr SP ammo, I doubt Remington pushes the pressure much higher than 7.62x51 in those loads.

I wouldn't shoot Ultramax just because it's a crappy brand of reloads, but it's probably safe.

LC brass is good stuff.
Old August 3, 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Navy joe

The 150 sp should be fine. I can't vouch for Ultramax, never used it, not a real fan of commercial reloads, especially ones that got named like a condom brand.

The issue is not with FMJ or "hunting ammo" but bullet weight. Heavy bullets generate too much gas pressure at the port and cause bent op-rods and generally are hard on the action. Same affliction as the Garand. Bullet weights of 180gr and above should be avoided.

Try to find loads, and powder burn speeds that match the military 147-150 gr stuff, or the match 168-175 flavors. I like M118 long range in mine, but that is pricey. It shoots portuguese surplus quite nicely too.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
jrothWA

Hi, for practise, you can use...

any of the SP hunting bullets, the 125grs have been used by hi-power shooters for reduced recoil loads @ 200 & 300 stages, then use the 168grs for 600 and over.

Some ranges allow the soft-nose ammo some require only FMJ.

The main thing is to get the velocity right for the bullet that give best grouping and accuracy.

Good luck and be CAREFUL, it is your face and hands by that receiver.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5
cornbush

Soft point, hollow point, FMJ doesn't matter if it feeds. Try to stay as close to the ball ammo pressures as you can and you will have nothing but enjoyable days afield.
Old August 4, 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Composer_1777

Since we're on the topic, Is it a bad idea to use Nato 7.62 in a 308 WIN chamber?

I will def stop using 180 gr. ammo now, good post!
Old August 4, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Jason_G

Quote:
It's the 180gr+ and "light magnum" ammo that's no good for M14ish rifles.

I wouldn't worry about shooting that 150gr SP ammo, I doubt Remington pushes the pressure much higher than 7.62x51 in those loads.
That's good advice, and absolutely correct, but I think the reason that SAI recommends against using soft point specifically is because they sometimes don't feed well out of the magazines. The lead point of the round could get gouged against the front of the mag tube and get stuck with the upwards push of the follower. Usually if this happens, the bolt will close over the round, leaving a rub mark down the length of the top round in the mag. The bolt will usually return to battery, but with an empty chamber.

That being said, I've never had a problem with the Remington CoreLokt brand, and that's exactly what I use to hunt with when using my M1A in the woods.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 4, 2009, 10:34 AM   #8
azredhawk44

All of my mags get the front lip filed smooth to enhance the feed reliability of softpoint ammunition.

Takes all of about 30 seconds to depress the follower and stick my multitool file in there for a handful of clean swipes.

I've probably put about 1000 federal and winchester retail 150gr softpoints through my rifles as well as another 2000 reloads of 150 and 165gr softpoints (along with BTHP's and FMJ's). Never had any problems after doing the above fix.
Old August 4, 2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Jason_G

Quote:
All of my mags get the front lip filed smooth to enhance the feed reliability of softpoint ammunition.

Takes all of about 30 seconds to depress the follower and stick my multitool file in there for a handful of clean swipes.

I've probably put about 1000 federal and winchester retail 150gr softpoints through my rifles as well as another 2000 reloads of 150 and 165gr softpoints (along with BTHP's and FMJ's). Never had any problems after doing the above fix.
I like it. Cheap easy insurance.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 4, 2009, 01:32 PM   #10
30Cal

Call the ammo manufacturer and ask them. They made it; they're the only ones in the position to give you a meaningful answer.
Old August 4, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
ssilicon

Thanks for all the info guys. Always helpful.