The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
isanchez2008

Sticky safety on an AR

I recently installed an ambi-safety on S&W lower. The safety seems to slow down on a "spot" right before reaching the fire position. Anyone have this happen to them before? If so, how did you remedy it? Thanks
Old August 6, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
GunCat

Could either of the safety levers be contacting /rubbing the pistol grip?
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old August 6, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
isanchez2008

Nope. They both stick out from the receiver enough that they won't rub. I was wondering if I should polish the groove that the detent travels through. Any ideas?
Old August 7, 2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Joat

Check the retention groove and the detent pin.
Also coat the shaft with sharpie marker of layout blue and work it a few times. There may be a high spot on the shaft that is rubbing on the tail of the trigger. The trigger tail may also have a burr or High spot that is hitting the shaft.

Joat
Old August 7, 2009, 01:24 PM   #5
isanchez2008

Thanks JOAT. How would I check the retention groove and detent? How do you know something is wrong there? I hope the trigger doesn't have anything wrong with it because it's a RRA National Match. I will try the sharpie idea
Old August 7, 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Joat

Pull the grip off, carefully pull the spring and retainer (detent) out of the hole. Look at the tip of the detent. It should be a rounded off cone shaped and no burrs on it.

Remove the ambi safety lever from the lower and look at the retention groove. It should be smooth end to end except for the drill spots on each end that the tip of the detent goes into. There may be a ledge or burr right before the drill spot where it was pushed up when they drilled it (If there is, remove it).

Also check the back side of the ambi lever or burrs and rough spots.

If these all look good and the sharpie shows no interference, you can try removing 1 or 2 coils from the detent spring to reduce tension and let the safety move easier. Do not reduce the tension too much or the safety will not stay in either the on or off position.

Joat
Old August 9, 2009, 04:52 PM   #7
isanchez2008

Thanks a bunch man