The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 23, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Field

what items would you need

k im going to try my first match this weekend its ispc and im probably going to go in the stock class. i have an xdm9 that came with the mag holders and that funny holster and stuff. I have 3 magazines which would total 57 rounds to use at a time. do you need a mag holder for each magazine so you can have your gun empty at times? is there any funny business they might have that i wont be expecting?
Old July 23, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2
oldkim

Depends...

First, USPSA or aka IPSC, depending on club and how it's run may require you to first attend a safety check. This can differ from location to location but may require you to obtain this before you can shoot at a "match."

Just from what I heard: I don't shoot USPSA but have heard they now require this safety check and you can't do it on the same day.

re: equipment
Check out their website and get the facts. You really want to learn some basics on what you need. Check out http://uspsa.com/ and click on the "How to Get Started"

Go with a good attitude and be safe. Go slow and observe where your muzzle is and your finger (off the trigger until you are ready to shoot).

An alternative is IDPA - you can't use your "special competition holster" but a good carry holster should work.

Either one you'll have a blast shooting rapid fire and moving while shooting.

The more magazines the better - it's better to have at least 4 - 5 magazines or more. You may need one just to use as a load. You'll hear the comment to "top off" It's when you load the gun and take that magazine out and load a fully loaded magazine... that way your gun is fully loaded.

Have fun and I hope it works out for you!

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old July 24, 2009, 06:42 AM   #3
lmccrock

There is no USPSA rule requiring a safety check, although every match I have been to had a "new shooters briefing". Some clubs or ranges require a safety class, but those are rare. Contact them first, which you should do anyway to be sure a published match is still scheduled. The main requirement is that the holster cover the trigger guard. Show up a little early, let them know you are new.

There is no requirement to put mags in carriers; they can go in your pockets. Just go for them safely, and keep the gun pointed downrange while reloading. From a competitve standpoint, put loaded mags and used/empty mags in different pockets, and be sure to reload them between stages.

Quote:
im probably going to go in the stock class.
USPSA does not have a "stock" division; I suspect you mean Production. Although Production is normally best for an XDM, that division limits you to only have 10 rounds loaded in the magazines, and you only have 3 mags, which is probably not enough. You can also shoot the xdm in Limited or Limited 10. Loading the mags to max, you would work better in Limited. The 9mm is a bit of a disadvantage, because you are scored "minor"....no problem, hit the A zone (center scoring area on the target) and that gets the same 5 points as the bigger calibers.

Lee
Old July 24, 2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Field

so basically it would be best if i had 4 magazines and another dual mag pouch

that thing about the higher calibers scoring more points i didnt know that makes it more interesting
Old July 24, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Steviewonder1

What items would you need?

Yes, if you can get a 4th mag that would be good. Also the range will be a "Cold Range" that means no mag in gun until you are on the line and told to "Make Ready" by the Range Officer. Also gun must be chamber empty and hammer down on that empty chamber.
Good Luck and Good Shootin'
Old July 24, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
lmccrock

4 would a minimum for production, 5 is better, as oldkim said. USPSA says 32 rounds max per stage, which is 4 mags. You want a spare in case something goes wrong, so 5. That is for Production, for Limited, you only need 2-3 XDM mags, because you load them to the top. So do not let lack of mags stop you, head on down.

The A-B-C-D zones on the target are scored 5-4-4-2 for major and 5-3-3-1 for minor. Hit the A zone, you get 5 points, either way. Production division is ALWAYS minor, the other divisions are split major/minor.

Lee
Old July 26, 2009, 07:32 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

the weekend has passed

So, how did you like it?
And how did you do?