The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 5, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1
JohnH1963

4th of July fight with police at the beach (video)

I have watched this video a few times. Basically a fight erupts at the beach with the police involved. I have a few opinions here about the tactics, but was wondering what other people in the forum think after watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqlFlYd6Wi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wAlSBDNsY
Old July 5, 2009, 11:57 PM   #2
DOUGHBOY RACING

The police just wanted to flex some muscle those guys were just verbally shouting no real physical stuff till they showed up. It could have gotten ugly as the crowd wanted to pounce on them. Their presence alone would have squished that one.
Old July 5, 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I won't cry foul on this thread but I see it as better suited for either a police discussion board or a board where discussions of police using excessive force are the norm.
Doesn't really fit under the TFL general precept "Responsible and legal gun ownership and use by the citizenry..."
As for tactics and training section? Really not much substance for discussion there either...
Brent
Old July 6, 2009, 12:16 AM   #4
JohnH1963

The reason why I posted this video was to show how something small can escalate very quickly. The fact the police were involved doesnt make a difference to the point the video makes.

The video starts out with a couple guys aggressively posturing and going eye to eye, but there was no real physical contact between anyone. There was essentially no fight going on, but just some youths having words with each other. A lone officer comes along and uses physical force to detain the youth who was having words with the other youth. Then the scene moves further out of control with non-involved spectators becoming involved in the scene.

The discussion I intended to propagate was on the appropriate level of force. I think its a good video for all to watch as it shows how things can escalate quickly.
Old July 6, 2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Wagonman

IBTL

The male Coppers used good control tactics esp on the offender who wouldn't stay down. the female not so much. I would've called for back up a lot earlier like when I had stunned the first nitwit. The Coppers were amazingly restrained the female needs a little gym time.

Quote:
The police just wanted to flex some muscle those guys were just verbally shouting no real physical stuff till they showed up
That seems like an odd statement to make the Police are called to handle a disturbance and you blame the Police for doing thier job. You DO NOT get to verbally breech the peace especially at a crowded beach.
Old July 6, 2009, 03:35 AM   #6
qwman68

some of the great young men standing around with thier fingers in thier butts should have stepped up and helped out
Old July 6, 2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Lavid2002

LMAO that was awesome .......punks deserved it
Old July 6, 2009, 05:25 AM   #8
Brit

If you have seen enough fights with a few beer starters, that one was going right along to fists thrown, no question.

The main problem, a great deal of people hampered the transport from the scene of the arrested boys, if they had been transported away (Police Van) escalation over.

Good Police presence, and no big fat ones! I thought they handled them selves reasonably well, that video might be a good training one, on Mon; morning.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:36 AM   #9
garryc

female cop completely ineffective
Old July 6, 2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

And if the Police had not shown up, someone would be yelling and complaining about "Where are the cops? They should have done something!"
Old July 6, 2009, 09:42 AM   #11
pax

Quote:
I won't cry foul on this thread but I see it as better suited for either a police discussion board or a board where discussions of police using excessive force are the norm.
Doesn't really fit under the TFL general precept "Responsible and legal gun ownership and use by the citizenry..."
As for tactics and training section? Really not much substance for discussion there either...
Absolutely correct.

pax
Closed Thread