The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 27, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1
scotraid

german stalking rifle - help identify pics

I've been trying to get info on this gun and only know that it's a german stalking rifle. Please help with identification and value of this gun.
the top of the barrel reads o. seelig hofbuchsenmacher wiesbaden
Thank you,
Scott

Old July 1, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
SDC

The markings show that this rifle was made by Otto Seelig, of Wiesbaden, Germany ("hofbuchsenmacher" is German for "rifle-maker's house"), but "value" is going to be tough to pin down, and will depend at least partially on what it's chambered for; a chamber-cast will determine that, as the proofs only show the projectile and powder weights it was proofed with. Seelig was active through the First World War; here's a page showing one of his 16 Ga SxSs for sale: http://www.gebrauchtwaffenprofi.de/g...ller&anzahl=25
Old August 6, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

Quick correction, Hof in this case doesn't refer to house but refers to the seat of nobility. Like the British "by appointment to Her Majesty" crests, this indicated the gun make was a supplier to some (pre-WW1) governing house. Since Wiesbaden wasn't a seat of government pre-45, it's hard to say by whose appointment the maker was using the title.
Also, I'm noticing the lack of crown over N proof mark, indicating the weapon might be chambered for an older black-powder round.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Jim Watson

172.28 is the gauge equivalent of 7.62mm bore diameter.
You don't suppose ol' Herr Seelig whipped up a .30-30 for somebody who had been reading too many American Western novels, do you?
Old August 7, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
paknheat

Can't be of much help here. But i know a work of ART when i see it . That rifle is just beautiful.
Old August 8, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Bigfatts

I have seen rifles like that go in the $2500 range if it's in a decent caliber. They're a tough sell though, I'm trying to sell mine for much less than what it's worth in the for sale here and Gunbroker. Mine's Swiss though. If you want to maybe get more of an idea try emailibg this guy:

Gil Gilbert
[email protected]

He is into old German guns and might be of some help. He helped me get some info on an old Pre war Mauser sporter I have. Good luck.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Very nice gun, I wish it were mine. I can't help with the identity problem. I did get a chukle looking at the duck in the 4th pic. I am sure it would be tough to do better, but it does look a little cartoonish blown up that much. The dog is good as is the rest of the scroll work. Great luck with the gun.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
MLeake

Forgive the stupid question...

... but when I see a pointer and a bird, I assume a shotgun. You said this is a rifle?
Old August 10, 2009, 05:13 PM   #9
mapsjanhere

Double triggers on a single barrel weapon - German rifle with "Stecher" (cocking one trigger sets the other as a hair trigger, usually breaking at 4 oz or less). Never used on a shotgun.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:31 PM   #10
MLeake

I believe you...

... and I hadn't paid attention to the double triggers. It would be nice if there were a pic that included the barrel and muzzle.

However, I still find the engraving motif more suited to a shotgun. Would think they'd have engraved it with deer or boar.