The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
djohn

Laserlyte Gun site Coming Soon

I just seen these today in Guns & Ammo July edition.Rear site laser gun site it looks interesting.I like that No special holsters are needed.What do laddies and gents think.http://www.laserlyte.com
Old June 8, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's very cool product.
My only concern would be that it's mounted in a very "high impact" area. For instance, when I'm maneuvering around my shop, squeezing between tables, counters and such, I sometimes bang my gun on something. It's generally the area of the rear sight that takes the impact.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 8, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
djohn

I have not thought of that but I also wonder how they would hold up from recoil and now the slide racking under fire or slamming the slide home over and over for range seasions.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
CortJestir

Interesting concept. Kinda Mickey Mouse lookin', but I'm sure a BG wouldn't care. I'd worry about damaging the laser if you need to drift it in with a punch. But I do like the thinking behind it.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
B. Lahey

That company sucks. Beware.

I mounted one of their lasers onto the frame of a .22 pistol for plinking fun... It wouldn't hold zero at all. Literally every shot moved the point of aim, and it was mounted to a non-moving part of a pistol with almost no recoil.

They make garbage, and all the advertising in the world won't change that.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The fact that they make the "Pistol Bayonet" doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:40 PM   #7
djohn

B.Lahey thanks for the heads up good enough for me not to get them.
Old June 9, 2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Skans

I don't like it because:

1. Sight protrudes and can easily get caught on clothing;
2. It's not close enough to the barrel
3. Why have an external "bolt-on" laser sight when your guide rod can be your laser sight?

I'm not all that interested in laser sights. Since I'm not a combat professional, if I am ever faced with a "combat" or HD situation, I need my firearm to be fairly simple to opperate. I don't want more buttons and doo-dads to fool with. But, if I were going to have a laser, it would be a Lasermax internal laser for my Glock.
Old June 9, 2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If they wanted to give me one then I'd be happy to write a completely unbiased review, otherwise, I too think that the LaserMax is the best current product.
Old June 12, 2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Slugthrower

"They make garbage, and all the advertising in the world won't change that." B. Lahey

+1 on that.

Had one that desintegrated on removal. What a POS. Never waste another dollar on them ever again.
Old June 12, 2009, 02:12 PM   #11
PhoenixConflagration

If you could make it a little smaller, it could be mounted in the front sight, similar to a tritium tube. Maybe a better company will take the design idea and make a good one.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:20 AM   #12
preston

well, i bought one for a 20C. It was difficult to install as it is an extremely tight fit. Using a bore sight I discovered that adjustments to it are a question mark, it seems that at about 1" to the left of the bore sight dot (which I would guess is fairly accurate) the dot of the lasersyte cuts off if I try to move it further to the right to line up with the bore sight. The sight itself is already so very slightly to the right of center so moving the sight itself further to the right is out of the question. I got it a couple days ago and have only fired about 30 rounds so these are my unpleasant first impressions. I have not contacted them about it yet. Only been doing forum searches to investigate this as well as other problems the thing may have.