The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 7, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
kiwicrusaders

Sako 85 vs CZ550

For all you gun guru's ... what in your opinion is the better ACTION and why?

If you were building up a custom rifle, what would you choose as the action, are there any pro's and con's for either?
Old May 7, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Horseman

Little would be gained by building a custom from a Sako IMO. They already shoot well and have excellent fit and finish. I'd opt for a pre 64 or Mauser action for a custom. The CZ is nice but aesthetically wouldn't be my first choice for a custom. Just my opinion on this one.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:33 PM   #3
ActivShootr

I'm no guru but here goes:

Both rifles are controlled round feed with the CZ being more like a mauser. Either would make a fine platform for a custom, but how much would you gain by hacking on a $1400 Sako?
Old May 8, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
pilothunter

I wouldn't disagree with either of the previous opinions, actually I agree with them, to a point. The CZ comes in only 2 lengths (best of my knowledge), one of those a large action for it's Safari Magnum Series. I believe the Sako 85 action comes in 5 sizes, so depending on the caliber you are choosing to build your custom rifle in, it could be better to have a proper sized action, perhaps. Especially in a S/A caliber, such as a 7/08, .284, .308, .338F, etc. I own two CZs and they are fine rifles of excellent quality. With a proper length cartridge, '06 or standard (not SM) magnum length, it would make a great base. The integral base for rings(like the Sako) is a nice feature. To be fair, although I own a Sako, it is not a model 85, but not for lack of wanting one, I can assure you.
Old May 8, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
kiwicrusaders

I suppose one of the things I was cuirous about, is either action inherantly better than the other (I KNow about the differect action lengths) but is there anything else, like strength in design, lock-up etc.

One of the things I know is that the Sako isn't atrue control feed, and is closer to a push feed
Old May 8, 2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Horseman

My money would be on the Sako as it more resembles a modern custom benchrest action. Fully supported case head(model 75) and 3 lug lock-up. I'm sure either have the potential to be deadly accurate with a good barrel. IMO the barrel is by far the most important component to accuracy.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Westcoaster

I think it depends on your end use and your individual preference. Sako is a well made rifle and CZ is a well made rifle.

I think the stock CZ is a little more robustly built and is pretty true to the original Mauser 98 action. I think the Sako has better fit and finish; the action is their own design and is from what I can see is a modified push feed (or sort of CRF).

I have a CZ, a hunting partner has a Sako - they are both very accurate. I can appreciate the Sako but I prefer the Mauser based CZ. As well, the CZ stock "fits" me a lot better.

For a hunting rifle I would definitely start with a Mauser 98 type action. I'm a proponent of CRF actions for hunting - please no flame wars all you push feed fans, just my preference. Maybe a CZ, probably take a long look at a Hein, or an Empire. By the time you tweaked the CZ to where you wanted it a guy could have bought the finished deal.

For a target rig I'm not sure. I'm currently researching a build on one and am not well informed enough on the topic.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:50 AM   #8
bojack2575

Sako makes great rifles, but the one thing I don't like on the 85 is the reverse dovetail ring mounting system. I prefer the receiver to be drilled & tapped. IMO you are very limited to scope mounting options, but I do love the Sako A7 its the only hunting Sako that is drilled and tapped.

Last edited by bojack2575; May 9, 2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:49 AM   #9
attila787

I have both and they are both great rifles. But I will tell you that CZ has a bad rep for customer stories. If you go to the cz forums you can read tons of complaints of customers having bad experiences dealing with cz.

Personally, I have two cz550 rifles (they are really tight at first) and a cz SP-01 tactical pistol and think they are worth every penny.

Sako are so smooth never heard anything about their customer service, but I believe if you ever have problems Beretta would be the people to talk too.

Between the both I would go with the Sako, but it's a close one.