The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1
PR787LV

Graphiting the spring, firing pin and bolt

I read this phrase on a post on this forum. I am not sure I understand it and would like clarification: "graphiting the spring, firing pin, and bolt interior...".

The context is "accurizing" a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. I plan to buy one of this little guns and hand load for it. Would like to understand what it takes to do this. Is it as simple as applying a graphite based dry lube to these parts?

While we are at it, what type / brand of lube, if this is the case, do you recommend?
Old April 30, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are a number of good gun oils and some folks use Mobil 1, which is excellent and, in the context of the amount needed for a gun, dirt cheap. I do not recommend graphite unless you want to leave black prints on everything you touch after a range session. (Graphite is OK when the temperature is so cold oil might thicken, but ordinarily has no advantage.)

Jim
Old May 2, 2009, 04:25 AM   #3
JasonG

I've started using Sentry products dry lube and found it works well on firing pins as it doesn't collect crud.
Polish pin and slot by putting flitz on the pin and hand working it in the pin slot. Clean well and de-oil gun with alcohol. Apply several coats of dry lube allowing to set/bond for a few hrs in between. Again the firing pin makes a good aplicator, make sure to seperate them until dry.
Works on pistol slides etc as well. A coating on the breach face and barrel (now I put it everywhere internal) makes cleaning a "wipe and go" process. Lazy I is.
Warning, it can be disolved by alcohol (and other solvents?) so it may need reaplication after cleaning.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old May 4, 2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Bart B.

Graphite's an abrasive. I don't want it in my firearms anywhere.

Tags
7.62x39 , accurizing , cz 527 , dry lube , graphiting