The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
SGL

More money than brains

Some guy wrote about a matched "trio" of shotguns that's selling for $150,000. I saw it at http://shotgunlife.com Want to know where your bailout money is really going?
Old April 22, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
ZeSpectre

Hey, spend that money, get the economy running again
Old April 22, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's more like a fetish.

Some people spend completely unjustifiable amounts of money on cars or boats or houses or wine or... you name it.

Somebody out there has more money than anyone could ever need and has an overriding concern for the prestige of owning some rare guns.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
WIN71

I'm not sure what that has to do with bailout money. People with the where with all have been spending big money on everything including guns for ever. Besides, he's getting 3 guns for a mere $150,000.00. There are several single guns for sale for that price !!!!
Old April 22, 2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Waterengineer

I don't really understand the bailout money comment. McKay/Brown guns are always at the top of the heap quality, wood and expense wise.

Are they beautiful? Yep.

Are they out of my budget? This week, yep, probably.

There has always been a market for investment grade guns, cars, watches......

Is this fact just coming into your view?

The guns are stunning. They have sequential S/N's. They come from one of the makers considered the top of the heap for British guns.

Are they worth $150K. Doubtful. That price is just to scare pests away. The asking price belongs in the "you can ask whatever you want" category.

The question is after you have proven yourself worthy (financially and knowledgable) the question really is, at the end of the day, what is the actual price?
Old April 22, 2009, 02:33 PM   #6
oneounceload

If I could do it, I would....DMB makes some of the finest around
Old April 22, 2009, 02:46 PM   #7
BigJimP

Not all the money in the country is coming for our federal tax bailouts ...

There are still plenty of gun collectors out there - who are wealthy enough to pay cash for that set of guns, if they really want them - and they don't all work for the Fortune 500 either ......

Personally, as far as a set of guns - they look like very nice guns. I hope whoever buys them / at whatever cost they consider fair ( and $150K may be fair, I don't really know ) - enjoys all 3 of them, shoots them well and treats them well - and does not just lock them up in a cabinet or show them off. It would be sad to me, if noone ever shoots and enjoys them.

I have no interest in owning this trio - but be happy for whoever does buy them. These days a $3K- $8K shotgun is downright common in the gun racks at any gun club / several guns at $ 10K - $25K per gun hardly gets any notice or a 2nd look / a gun over $ 25K is a little less common but seen once in a while ....even at my little gun club .... And for any of you guys that say a $ 25K shotgun is a ridiculous waste - well, its my wish that all of you can oneday say yes, it might be expensive and a little extravagent, but you have the assets where you can afford to pay cash for it, if you really want it - and you shoot it well !
Old April 22, 2009, 07:39 PM   #8
WIN71

The asset part is it

I would guess that if anybody on this forum hit the Lotto for 50 million net they probably wouldn't rush right out and buy a Mossy 500 and a 4 year old pickup.................
Old April 22, 2009, 07:41 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
I would guess that if anybody on this forum hit the Lotto for 50 million net they probably wouldn't rush right out and buy a Mossy 500 and a 4 year old pickup.................
Thinking more like an island in the Carib with my own sporting course and preserve quail...........
Old April 22, 2009, 08:37 PM   #10
zippy13

oneounceload

Sadly, $50 million won't go very far in the island buying department these days. But, with that much jingle in your jeans, and a brace of $50K shotguns, you'll be invited to join private hunt clubs that don't abide Mossbergs unless your name is Mossberg.

Pete
Old April 23, 2009, 06:50 AM   #11
oneounceload

I have seen islands for a few hundred K - now granted, they are not big islands....less than 100 acres.....and there is zero for improvements on them, BUT...........well maybe one day...........
Old April 23, 2009, 07:48 AM   #12
apr1775

$150,000 for a trio of "London Best" type guns is not abnormal. The price is in the many hours of hand labor by skilled craftsmen. The forementioned Mossberg 500 is a solid shotgun, my choice for a defence shotgun; but it is a mass produced, machine made gun, lacking the refinements of a high end gun. Find yourself some reading material on the classic double barrel gun makers and be impressed.

A trailer house or a mansion both serve the same purpose, each has their advantages and disadvantages.