The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
bstaug

Shotgun For Home Defense

Hi all, new to the forum. Was looking for a good 12 ga. for home defense, and stumbled across the Rock Island M5 tactical 12 ga.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=127164905#PIC

Anyone have any experience with this shotgun? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2
earlthegoat2

from the quick look I gave the auction ad it appears to be built on the same style of pump action as the mossberg 500/high standard flite king. This is good because this is a solid platform.

The price however is outrageous considering you can get a used Mossberg 500 for $200 or less and you can get it locally where ever you are and not have to deal with GunBroker FFL transfers. True you may want the 18" barrel and shroud but you really dont need a shroud and an 18" barrel is only a hacksaw away.

Save money and go down to your local pawn shop and pick up the Mossberg. You will have instant satisfaction as you rack the slide of some all american wood and metal.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:36 PM   #3
sholling

If I were you'd I'd just buy a Mossberg 500 or 590 or a Remington 870. The 500 will set you back less than $250.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:17 AM   #4
cjw3cma

That barrel shroud is there for looks only. While RIA makes a great line of 1911's, for home defense you'd be better getting an 870 or 500 - as both are proven reliable shotguns. I happen to have an 870 / had the barrel threaded / have a vented choke attached that helps keep the pattern at close range as I have it loaded with Centurion HD shells (one round ball of .650 diameter with an additional six #1 buckshot behind it).

But if you want to give the RIA a try, go on over to CenterFire Systems as they sell the exact same shotgun for less than $240.00 (plus fees).
Old April 20, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Slopemeno

Say it with me now... "Clean used 870"
Old April 21, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
MagnumWill

That'll probably do just fine. The engine turning on the bolt is kind of out of its era for me, though...
Old April 21, 2009, 06:07 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Looks to be a Savage clone...
get a new Mossberg 500 or Remington wingmaster (express if you must). Which ever trips yer trigger... pun intended...
Actually, very little resemblance to a mossberg...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; April 21, 2009 at 07:09 PM.