The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 7, 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
KLRANGL

Tapco AK47 mag spring versions?

So here's the deal. I bought two of the new Tapco AK47 poly mags a few months ago and ended up loving them. Would leave the mags fully loaded and they would cycle great every time. So at the gun show a few weeks back I picked up three more of the same Tapco mags at one of the "unlicensed dealers." Well these ones seem to be crap. They dont have enough force in the spring to fire the last 5 rounds as the follower gets stuck in the mag body. I couldnt figure out what was up so I opened the new and old mags to see what was wrong. This is what I got:

Notice the new mag springs are much much shorter. The only other differences I could see between the two mags are that the good ones are unmarked, while the bad ones are marked 7.62x39mm on the side as such:

Both good and bad mag shells are marked "Cage Code 3E2Q7" and they both use the same follower and base plate.

So my question is this:
Did Tapco change their spring as they updated the product, or was I royally screwed by the dealer? Any chance Tapco would give/sell me the older springs, as I only see the followers on their website?
Old April 7, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Gaimen

Call Tapco

I have read about this. Some kind of quality problem with spring production. Call Tapco, they will get you a good set of springs to you.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
KLRANGL

I hope your right, but it doesn't look like a problem with production. It looks like they straight up put the wrong spring in!
I'll have to give them a call sometime soon
Old April 7, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
chris in va

I have to ask...whats wrong with the regular AK mags? Mine work fine.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
KLRANGL

define regular...

The story behind my mags is that my rifle only came with a 5 round Bulgarian poly mag. I thought my rifle looked much much better with poly mags, so it was between the Tapco mags and Bulgarian poly mags. I like buying US where possible, so I bought the Tapco mags and loved them. Fit great, feed amazing (except for the latest three), and look really good. My friends Romanian metal mags were a bit loose.
Old April 7, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
chris in va

Regular, I don't know...just your average metal AK mag like Hungarian, Bulgarian etc. I've got two 'tanker' 20rd mags that work fine.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Only S&W and Me

Sidebar question here, but as we talk about springs, typically ok to leave a fully loaded stock AK mag for months without a spring set?
Old April 7, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8
KLRANGL

Quote:
Regular, I don't know...just your average metal AK mag like Hungarian, Bulgarian etc. I've got two 'tanker' 20rd mags that work fine.
work fine yes... the poly mags were a style choice. Just didnt like the way metal ones fit and looked

Quote:
Sidebar question here, but as we talk about springs, typically ok to leave a fully loaded stock AK mag for months without a spring set?
Ive never had a problem with the longer springs in my Tapco (properly designed). Ever since I bought them last year they've always been loaded except when lead is flying downrange (not often). The short ones wouldnt feed the last few rounds after sitting for a bit...
I cant speak for all AK mag springs, but properly designed ones wont ever "set" in your lifetime...
Old April 8, 2009, 01:55 PM   #9
KLRANGL

Just got a call back from TAPCO. Their explanation to me was that back in January they had a run where someone accidentally grabbed the springs for the M16 mags and used them in the AK47 mags. Got three new AK47 mag springs being shipped to me right now. Talk about good customer service
Old April 8, 2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Willie D

It's good to buy American but in the field of AK mags, we don't compete with the commies on quality or durabilty, sorry to say.

The Bulgarian poly mags are far more durable than any of the US poly mags and won't break when dropped or melt in a hot gun.

The commie steel mags will probably survive an atomic blast.

As for your spring troubles, Tapco's explanation looks spot on. Even 10 round milsurp AK mags get those giant springs.