The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Best Shotgun for home defense?
Remington 12G Express 7 - shot (synthetic) 46 46.46%
Mossberg 590 9 - shot (synthetic) 53 53.54%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
SteveRick

Shotgun for Home Defense?

I know this has been asked tons of times and I am new to these forums, but I was trying to gather as much opinion as possible as to which shotgun you favor primarily for HD.

Remington 870 Express 7-shot or Mossberg 590 Tactical 9 - shot
Old March 23, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2
johnm312

Either gun can fill the role just fine. It really depends on which you like more. I own a mossberg and like the safety on it but would buy the 870 if I did it over again. The 870's always feel and are higher all around quality. But, as a HD gun my mossberg works just fine. I think you'll be happy with either.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
SteveRick

appreciate the response
Old March 23, 2009, 06:22 PM   #4
inSight-NEO

This topic will most certainly spark a debate. Either way, it really comes down to you and which model suits/fits you best. Personally, while I can see an advantage in owning the 870 (due to its vast accessory availability), I chose to go with the Mossberg 590 instead. This was mainly due to the slightly higher capacity (only if needed, although I tend to download) and more user friendly ergonomics (such as the receiver mounted safety vs the trigger guard mount of the 870). Also, its my opinion that the Mossberg is certainly comparable to the 870 Express in terms of quality, at least when comparing the new ones anyway. Sure, one may have a bit more on the "detail" side vs the other, but when dealing with a "budget" type weapon, I tend to be more concerned about functionality and ease of use.

Now, if we were comparing the Remington 870P to the Mossberg 590 A1, I would probably go with the Remington in this case. But, for the standard models....Mossberg all the way.

But again, its all up to you.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; March 23, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

If you can, get some trigger time on both and see which YOU like better. Both are good guns, learn to load whichever one you get on the run and don't let magazine capacity worry you too much.

lpl
Old March 23, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6
colostomyclown

I've owned both, and the 590 sealed the deal. The only way I'll ever buy another Remington is if I decide to convert an old wingmaster as a project gun. Give the 590 some love and 500 rounds or so of light target load and I think you'll feel the same.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:33 PM   #7
SteveRick

Ohh, by the way, I live in California with its archaic gun laws, so finding either one of these shotguns has been very tough as of late.

The FFL transfer fees from Arizona or Nevada to California are 125$-180 depending on the dealer here. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any 870s or 590s here in Southern California for a decent price?? None of the gun retailers that I have called said they are getting any in for 6 months and I am unwilling to wait.

Orange, CA by the way.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:34 PM   #8
TridentOne

To me it boils down to the controls, they are different enough to matter. I have the 870, if I had to do it over again I would choose the Mossberg because of the safety location.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:36 PM   #9
New_Pollution1086

+1 Lee.

Try to get to the range with both. I have friends who own Remigtons, and winchesters. I went with the Mossberg500. the safety, and slide release are what did it for me.

I would avoid the 590 if this is going to be an all purpose gun. Because you cant change barrels, but if strictly for HD then go for it.

All are great platforms and will serve you well.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 23, 2009, 06:38 PM   #10
New_Pollution1086

Dude 125-180. you are getting RAPED. up here in better California I pay 25. Come up here my big5 has plenty.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 23, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Katrina Guy

TritentOne is correct, also the slide release location

Better layout, even the Remington lovers would agree, only not in here *LOL*
They say Remington's are made better, I don't know, I mean how many bad guys do you plan on blowing away in a lifetime??
Have both an 870 and a Persuader...Persuader stays loaded, Remington never shot, collects dust.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:43 PM   #12
inSight-NEO

Quote:
They say Remington's are made better
These days, unless speaking of the Police models, I choose to remain dubious on this one.
Old March 23, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
jcsturgeon

A year or two ago I bought a used Remington 870 Magnum Express 12 ga.

I'm told it used to belong to a local prison as a duty weapon and they upgraded. (This one has a wooden stock with a really classic look/feel.) I love it, it's great for shooting skeet, trap, poppers or I imagine, burglars.

Seriously though, a shotgun for home defense is a great idea, and while I can't tell you which make or model to buy I would highly recommend a pump action. That tell-tale sound of a shell cycling into the barrel is enough to scare off most people and really reduces the odds of you being forced to take a life.

Like a buddy of mine says "I'd feel terrible if I killed someone because they were trying to steal my VCR."
Old March 23, 2009, 09:35 PM   #14
SteveRick

I think I am going to try a 870 synthetic/matte/camo finish, 7+1 12G. I am heading down to my local gun store Fowlers and see if I can't get a better feel for a Mossberg 500 because barrel length in reality bothers me a little, even if its 20" vs 18". By the way, this will be a my second shotgun purchase within a year, just bought a SBE 2 for wild bird/turkey hunting a few months ago, best damn shotgun I have ever fired.
Old March 24, 2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Katrina Guy

if I ever caught an intruder messing with my vcr,

I'd hold him at shotgun gun point!, and my only verbal command to him less'n he'd want the trigger pulled would be "Program that sucker or else!!!", wups, forgot I now live in southern Texas, let me rephrase that command, "El program-o el vcr-o, or els-O!"

Last edited by Katrina Guy; March 24, 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo (again)
Old March 24, 2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Derekadavis

Quote:
if I ever caught an intruder messing with my vcr,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd hold him a shotgun gun point!, and my only verbal command to him less'n he'd want the trigger pulled would be "Program that sucker or else!!!", wups, forgot I now live in southern Texas, let me rephrase that command, "El program-o el vcr-o, or els-O!"
That is the funnyest **** ive read in awhile!

And true too! i live in dfw
Old March 24, 2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Katrina Guy

then vote for Katrina Guy, Derekadavis

LOLOL
Old March 24, 2009, 03:21 PM   #18
OLNfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

Thunde ranch. Home defense shotguns.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Kmar40

Where's the 500, 870, or 88 express with an 18" barrel (or with an additional 18" barrel) option?

I don't like the extended tubes. Makes the balance of a shotgun all wrong. It definitely points more slowly and weighs more so it doesn't feel as handy. (Don't like sidesaddles either for the same reason.) The 500 and 870 are perfect as they are. Short barrel and maybe a short length of pull stock to help negoatiating tight quarters and you are basically ready for anything. Flashlight and a buttcuff with a few extra buckshot/slugs are icing on the cake.

Last edited by Kmar40; March 24, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:23 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Kmar, 870 express or 88 maverick...
Old March 24, 2009, 09:42 PM   #21
SilentSoul

I had the opportunity to get some trigger time with both shotguns in a few different configurations, i always liked the 590.. it was my idea of the perfect 12g pump, knew i had to have one some day.. and i still want one too!

however, i personally chose the 870 express magnum i currently own, i got it from a local gunstore/range, so i actually fired the weapon before buying it, it wasnt even exactly what i wanted.. wood furniture and only 4 rounds in the tube... however, i fell in love with it when i picked it up

i think thats what it will boil down too, whatever you like when you go around fondling them, i see no real advantage or disadvantage over either, the 870 just feels best in my hands, i like the size(proportions i mean) weight and overall character it has, not to mention the sheer number of options for aftermarket barrels, stocks/forends and configurations possible, i do not think the 500/590 can match it in that regard, but still.. the function is equal, you point them.. they make a loud noise and you smile, and they will both do it every time you ask

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 24, 2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Kmar40

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:16 PM   #23
cloudcroft

Like others have said, either (in fact just about any repeating) shotgun is just fine, so whatever you'd choose is a good choice. Or a Winchester, Savage, Ithaca, etc.

I have the Mossberg 590A1 Milspec myself for basic H-D (and 3 other shotguns for more specialized assignments).

-- John D.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:25 AM   #24
LoneStarWings

I went with the 870 7 shot synthetic myself. I figured if I was going to get a tactical type shotgun I might as well get the shortest length barrel I could (althouth I admit 1.5" isn't much of a difference).

I certainly don't see a need for any more magazine capacity. I've fired off 7 shots of buck and slugs in rapid succession a few times, and it is physically draining, especially at an indoor range. By the 4th or 5th shot I tend to get rattled and lose accuracy, but that's certainly not the weapon's fault.

If anything, I probably would've gone with the standard 4 shot magazine in retrospect. The 7 shot express gun is very muzzle heavy with the magazine fully loaded w/ buckshot. I am considering a shell carrier harness for the stock to counteract this a bit.

The finish on my 870 express is also starting to wear off around the magazine extension clamp after only a few trips to the range. That might've been my fault for not tightening it enough after i disassembled the weapon for cleaning. But hey, for $300 I guess the price is right.

In the end though, there is no doub the 870 synthetic 7-shot would do the job well if it ever needed to. I've had no malfunctions after the first 100 shells, and the action seems to get smoother with every cycle.
Old March 25, 2009, 02:35 PM   #25
SteveRick

I just decided that the Remington 870 Security Model, 12G, 20" barrel, was for me. I just bought it for 369.99 at a California Big5 which is a very good deal here. Synthetic black too. By the way, whats this I have heard of a J-safety? I prefer push button safety all the way.

EDIT: I think this was a good buy, what do you think?

Last edited by SteveRick; March 25, 2009 at 03:04 PM.